Refrigerator in rental

10 Replies

What are your thoughts in leaving/putting a refrigerator in a rental? I have a nice stainless steel fridge that was just given to me and can’t decide if I want to sell it or leave it in the property for prospective  tenants. May make it make it more appealing to rent but I don’t want to deal with it when/if it breaks...

Unless you’re dealing with c-d neighborhoods, always include a nice stainless ice/water in door fridge. I can’t even imagine wanting tenants to buy a fridge or bring their sheety old fridge across my floors and possible leak everywhere. 

1 week’s less vacancy 3 times in 8 years and it will pay for itself. If you’re going to include a stove include a fridge. 

Markets are different, all of my rentals include fridges, it's expected. Since rentals in your area do not include a fridge, you could advertise it as included, and you could include in the lease that it is a gift and will not be maintained or replaced by the owner. It may be easier to just sell it though.

We don't provide fridges in our SFRs. However, sometimes we leave one there with the clear understanding they can use it or not but if it breaks it's not our problem mon.

No need to wreck a floor by moving a fridge. Use an appliance dolly.

Theses days appliances stay with the property, when sell or rent out. Put a clause in the lease that they are responsible for the frig.  Somehow you need to explain it is a mobile appliances and you take care of the fixed appliances.

Many renters expect landlord furnish all appliances and washer and driers.

I'd say keep it there with the property. You'll run into more problems having tenants bring in their own each time it leases. Also you exclude a percentage of possible tenants if you require them to bring their own appliances. They may like your property more but the competitors place has appliances. Lastly you can still have the tenant responsible for any repairs/maintenance. I rented an apartment where although the appliances came with the apartment, if they needed service or repairs, I was responsible for the cost. 

BYOF doesn't work so good in our area, we've found. Even in D-class rentals, we provide working fridges, and replace them with new or clean used units when they break.

Originally posted by @Bradley Bladon :

What are your thoughts in leaving/putting a refrigerator in a rental? I have a nice stainless steel fridge that was just given to me and can’t decide if I want to sell it or leave it in the property for prospective  tenants. May make it make it more appealing to rent but I don’t want to deal with it when/if it breaks...

I prefer to provide appliances in rentals, because I don't want tenants bashing up my property when they move in and out every other year. I buy new ones that are the less-expensive variety, have them delivered (they take the old one too), then replace or repair them when they break.

SS appliances are trendy and will be a piece of the past before long. Why? They are hard to clean and look good for like 5 minutes. I'll never buy another one. SS sinks on the other hand are an entirely different story.