Reserves instead of monthly vacancy loss

Reserves instead of monthly vacancy loss

DFW · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 7 votes

Instead of doing an 8% vacancy loss every month, does anyone just keep a total reserves amount?

For example: Say your mortgage payment is $400 monthly so 6 months worth of rent is $2,400 and another $12,600 for CapEx repairs for a total of $15k and just place that into a savings account until needed.

I’m assuming there’s no issues with that, but no one really discusses that, all spreadsheets calculate a vacancy loss rate.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Evelin Montenegro it is just a reserve account for vacancy,repairs,capex, not three separate accounts. You would just move things around if you had different accounts. You have a vacancy and the unit needs painting. Which account would you choose to take the money out? It could come out of any of the accounts.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Evelin Montenegro it is just a reserve account for vacancy,repairs,capex, not three separate accounts. You would just move things around if you had different accounts. You have a vacancy and the unit needs painting. Which account would you choose to take the money out? It could come out of any of the accounts.

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Evelin Montenegro:

    Instead of doing an 8% vacancy loss every month, does anyone just keep a total reserves amount?

    For example: Say your mortgage payment is $400 monthly so 6 months worth of rent is $2,400 and another $12,600 for CapEx repairs for a total of $15k and just place that into a savings account until needed.

    I’m assuming there’s no issues with that, but no one really discusses that, all spreadsheets calculate a vacancy loss rate.

    I believe that people don’t have 15k laying around to park in a reserve fund, plus if I had that laying around I’d rather buy an additional property.

    I look at all of those items, repairs, vacant, capex, and any other set aside money as just slowly building your reserves.  I agree if you hit a astronomical amount in your reserve fund I’d start moving the excess to other things like additional savings for other properties or if you are done buying properties start taking some extra cash in your pocket monthly until you have to replenish your fund.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    @Evelin Montenegro  It is a matter of having money to cover those things when they arise.  I don't put aside set amounts of money every month, but if something happens, I have money that I can use to cover those costs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.