LVP or Carpet in Rental?

17 Replies

Hello everyone!

I’m close to closing on my first duplex and I was looking for some advice. Would you put LVP throughout the entire duplex in order to completely “tenant proof” the place or make it feel “more like home” with LVP everywhere except bedrooms which would have carpet?

Also what does everyone else do to help tenant proof their rentals?

@Kyle Falkenstein huge fan of lvp. But you need to give all tenants a pack of felt pads. It does scratch. Lvp is a very easy diy install...another reason for fan base. But if you are hiring out, compare wood look porcelain tile. By far the most durable floor. Wood or wood look will never go out of style, just go medium light and not too gray, red, golden,or distressed . Etc. gunstock is the all time tip,selling color, so somewhere there...but a little gray and a little distressed should be fine and would look great.

@Marian Smith good point I guess I’ll have to invest in a stock pile of felt pads but my LVP in my current house seems to be holding up to scratching pretty well but it could just be the color that’s hiding it lol.

You’d be amazed at the difference in care you, without a thought, give your house and tenant care...even previous home owners.  Many tenants have so infrequently received their deposits back they consider it a fee so have no incentive to sweep before sliding a heavy piece of furniture or stop sliding if they hear a scratching noise, etc.  or they just never think about it, whatever, they just have accidents.  A duplex will likely never sell retail o/o, just to an investor.  Duplex tenants are younger/lower income than sfh, so likely worse than my tenants.  So on a concrete slab I would tile everything.  A wood tile will be acceptable, imo, for 100 years just like real wood.  And it will last that long.  I would use an acrylic grout like fusion or whatever high performance grout your installer likes.  No seal, no stain. The color of dirt, so not brown but gray brown.  No carpet anywhere...why would you?  Imo.  Lvt is what I am using but I want to be able to change floors if I ever sell my sfh.

@Kyle Falkenstein I use the waterproof/petproof lvp throughout and try to use a color that blends/hides well. I label where the water shut off is (had an incident where water was exploding due to an accident and tenant didnt know how to shut off water lol i guess most ppl dont know this). I make sure led lightbulbs are in all fixtures and smoke detectors have active batteries. Too many tenants just take it down once battery starts beeping and just live without it.

@Kyle Falkenstein

I think LVP is better than carpet in the long run, but if the current carpet is nearly new and in great shape, consider keeping it through 1 renter before replacement.

LVP all the way through. It looks better, will last longer, attract more rents.  Carpet gets destroyed fast and tenants hate it. Spend more now save money and time later. Invest for the future. 

I'm in the LVP camp as well.  Durable, looks great, easier to clean.  I also find that tenants prefer it as @Frank Wong mentioned because they are also aware that carpets in a rental are used by all the tenants before them.  Check out the other listings in your area for rentals at the same or nicer condition than yours and see what they are using.  

LVP that is at least 5 mm.  Agree about the felt pads although we've lucked out so far.  Have wood look tile in one place,  but tenants have left the grout looking stupid by bleaching it repeatedly.  We do medium browns with a hint of gray.

carpets look like crap after the first year.

fibers get all worn out, and then prospective tenants get grossed out looking at it, EVEN THOUGH these same prospective tenants would destroy the carpet just the same.

stupid double standard.

@Suny Capezzuto thanks for your input definitely plenty to consider. I can’t believe how lazy some tenants would be just to take a safety feature down instead of changing its batteries lol.