Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Glen Emery
  • London, Ontario
Votes |
Property management software for Canadians investing in U.S.

Glen Emery
  • London, Ontario
Posted Sep 3 2019, 09:24

Does anyone know of property management software that will allow a Canadian to collect rent on U.S. rental properties? I tried cozy but when it comes time for me to verify my ID the software will not allow me to enter Canadian information. So basically I can't collect using ACH with their software which would be super convenient. Thank you for an information.

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Sep 3 2019, 17:37

Hi @Glen Emery, unfortunately ACH is country specific and the more popular vendors only allow USA.  I've ask our vendor previously about Canadian's using an American bank, still wouldn't work.

Although!  I got an interesting email today from our vendor about a potential international update.  I've asked for additional information from them and will share with you once I get more information.

User Stats

Votes
Glen Emery
  • London, Ontario
Votes |
  • London, Ontario
Replied Sep 3 2019, 18:30

Thanks Kenny but will I be asked to verify my ID buy entering a U.S. social security number and a U.S. address? I am not American so I don't have those. That's were all the software's lose me. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Violet D.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, British Columbia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Vancouver, British Columbia
Replied Sep 4 2019, 07:34

@Glen Emery you could collect rent thru Paypal, the transfer will cost one or two $ :)

User Stats

Votes
Timmi Ryerson
  • Property Manager
  • Ketchum, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Ketchum, ID
Replied Sep 4 2019, 10:42

Smart Property Systems has that capability.  However they are coming out with a new software for Landlords who want to manage for themselves called Ideal Landlord.  Both will allow you to collect via ACH in Canada.  I think the launch date is in late October for the Ideal Landlord product which is powered by Smart Property Systems.  The SPS product will be sold to property management companies who need owner reports etc.  

User Stats

Votes
Kenny Dahill
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Sep 4 2019, 18:23

@Glen Emery, it would have to do with your bank clearance.  Unfortunately I haven't heard back yet on the international element.  I don't think address is an issue, it's your lack of SSN.

User Stats

Votes
Glen Emery
  • London, Ontario
Votes |
  • London, Ontario
Replied Sep 8 2019, 06:39

Thanks for the information everybody. I talked to the people at Smart Property Systems and they say it will work for Canadians.I'll give it a try.