I’m beginning I live in a single family home

I’m beginning I live in a single family home

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes

I want to make my primary home into a rental and buy another primary and start investing in that way

How long do I have my renters sign a lease for minimum and maximum

Thank you

0Reply
14 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Hey @Jose Huijon! Does your primary home cash flow well?

    I'd sign a tenant to a 1-2 yr lease! 

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jake Stuttgen

    No. I live in it right now but wanting to rent it out and get another home

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    @Jose Huijon I mean, would it cash flow well as a rental property?

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jake Stuttgen

    Yes about $300

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    7y

    Hi @Jose Huijon, Thats exactly how I started as well!

    I would also make sure that you run your numbers for your budgets on Cap Ex, Maintenance, Vacancy, and Property management (even if you will self manage yourself) just to ensure your house will cash flow positive. Depending on the age and state of the current house will determine how much you should likely budget. 

    I myself budget about 3% for vacancy, 6% Cap ex and Maintenance, and 10% property management (which I keep myself since I self manage) But these budget figures are for my own property, and may or may not work with yours. 

    Best of luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Alexander Lang thank you very much for your input.

    My home has HOA do I include that in the payment?

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    7y

    Yeah I would include that as if it was another item to budget for. A very rough example below

    A basic Example:

    Rent: + $1000/month

    Mortgage/insurance/tax: - $500/month

    HOA: - $100

    Vacancy, CAP EX, Maintenance, Property management: - $100

    $1000 (rent) - $700 (budget/expenses) = $300 cash flow

    That is nice if you have an HOA as those often do cover large exterior items like Roofs, driveways, siding, etc... That should lower your budget to save for those CAP EX items greatly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.