Votes
Reece Bierhalter
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
Late Fees AFTER Notice to Pay or Vacate provided

Reece Bierhalter
  • Plano, TX
Posted Sep 23 2019, 10:17

I provided a tenant with a 3-day Notice to Pay or Vacate.  The total amount is based on the back rent due, plus all late fees incurred up to the day I provided the notice. Per the lease I have an initial late fee, then a daily late fee after the initial fee.  My question is, do the daily late fees continue to pile up after the 3-day notice to pay or vacate is provided (meaning if its $20 additional/day, and they pay on the 3rd day do they need to pay what was due plus $60?), or does it stop adding up, and they have a set amount to pay in the 3 days? I have done numerous google searches and can't find an answer to this part of my question.  This is in Texas, btw. Thanks for all help in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Sep 23 2019, 10:27

First question is what does TX allow as far as late fees? That should be in your state tenant-landlord laws. Second question is what does your lease say (assuming it is state-law kosher)? 

User Stats

Votes
Reece Bierhalter
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Sep 23 2019, 10:39

The late fees are in the lease are laid out and in accordance with any state laws/regulations.  They build up on a daily basis as rent is late.  I just don't know how to apply, if at all the late fees once a notice to pay or vacate is provided.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 23 2019, 11:20

That varies from state to state. Check Texas' landlord/tenant laws

User Stats

Votes
Jim Cummings
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • College Station, TX
Replied Sep 23 2019, 19:26

@Reece Bierhalter. Late Fees should accumulate. i.e. $50 Initial PLUS $10 / Day paid on the 10th would be $150 in late Fees.

If you have already served the Notice to Vacate, and are proceeding to JP Court for eviction, my experience has been, the JP will not allow you to collect late Fees, only the Contract Rent.  Your mileage my vary with a different JP Court. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 23 2019, 19:55

Continue charging the late fees until they pay in full or vacate.

If you end up in court, the judge will not award late fees but that doesn't mean you should stop charging them.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Reece Bierhalter
  • Plano, TX
Votes |
  • Plano, TX
Replied Sep 26 2019, 07:08

Thank you for all the answers.  Tenant paid up with late fees on day 3, just so I don't leave you all hanging.