Problems with putting a flat top stove in a rental?

13 Replies

I love having a flat top stove. They are easier to clean and act as additional counter space when not in use. I notice that rentals rarely have them. When I need to replace the stoves in my units, is there any reason I shouldn't get flat tops?

Are they problems-in-waiting when used by tenants?

What are your experiences?

What we do in our market is when we buy a home with a flat top counter/cooktop we remove them and cut the counters so that a slide-inn range can be installed by the tenant.  We do not want to get into the major appliance business especially in homes under $125k.
Good luck

I always opt for glass when possible. I have almost 1400 properties we handle and I’ve only had a tenant break a top once in almost 13 years.

I hate the way glass top ranges cook. It's really hard to simmer a pot of soup or operate a pressure canner. Our next rental is going to get a glass top range (the one in our house currently) and we're going back to one with coils. I don't think durability is an issue with them, just hate their operational design of on/off vs a measured heat level.

The previous owners of my rent house put in a rather nice glass-top stainless range that was only about 2 years old when I bought the house, so I kept it, and I haven't had any trouble with it so far in a bit over 2 years of it being rented.  I see it about once every 3 months and I haven't noticed any cracks or major damage.

When the tenant moved in, I gave them a bottle of the cleaner (Cerama Bryte), scraper, and scrubby pads that are supposed to be used to clean the top.

We've had & still have quite a few flat tops. The coiled electrics created several fires over the years so the glass top was more of a safety issue. We had one Samsung die after 4 years due to switches failing & a high end LG go out for the same reason also at 4 years. Both repaired & put back into use but no glass breakages yet. Tenants love them.

Admittedly, after a few years, the glass does show the distinctive signs of use common to these, but by that time I find another scratch & dent stove for the cost of a new glass & sell the retired one for $100-$150.

I started putting in the flat top ranges too, got tired of replacing nasty electric coils and drip pans. Tenants love them as they're not the norm around here, and they're much easier to clean. Haven't had a single problem with them.

@Adam Vadnais

After many years of having properties we now ONLY put in the glass top stoves. We give the tenants the proper cleaning equipment for them and have had no problems! It saves a ton of cleaning time and you don’t have to buy new liners.

Another thing is cleaning during a turnover. They sell kits specifically for the glass with a flat blade razor and scuffing pad. The glass flat top can clean up nicely, look better, and save you money. 

@Adam Vadnais we have been upgrading all our properties to self cleaning flat top ovens, either black or stainless color. Most of the competitive houses in our market have white coil top stoves. It makes our kitchens look ten times better.

I had some fear of using flat tops when I started installing them five years ago. People warned me that tenants would crack the top. I have not had it happen yet. Of course the problem is if you do crack the top, the stove needs to be replaced because the cook top is near the cost of new.

I have not even had issues with scratched glass. Between a razor blade and cook top cleaner, they look good as new between tenants.