Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
After 2 years of relative calm, this tenant falls behind in her rent, and my questions are answered sarcastically, or not at all. I sent a Notice to Pay, and a Notice to Quit to the tenant, and I was in the process of filling out a dispossessory affidavit form when I learned the tenant was vacating. (Tenant texted she was leaving.) Do I need to go through with the eviction process and get a court order (seems sort of moot now) or is there a more appropriate avenue to take now?
Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Paula Wahlert
I would file the eviction just in case the tenant changes their mind and decides to stay. You should be able to cancel the actual hearing if you do get the property back from them.
I'd also try and work something out to recoup some lost rent. For example:
PRIOR TO FILING EVICTION:
Good morning _______,
_____ your landlord with ____. We received your text about vacating the property before the agreed-upon date in the lease. We would like to work with you on a potential buy-out so you can be released from this obligation. Please contact us by the end of the day if this is something you'd be interested in doing. If not, we will unfortunately have to file the eviction in court which will show up on your public record.
AFTER FILING EVICTION:
Good morning _______,
_____ your landlord with ____. If you haven't already, you should be receiving a summons for court on Monday 10/XX, as the the eviction was filed this week.
We've enjoyed providing a home to you and your family, and would love to retract the eviction (prior to 10/XX) if we can work through payment as outlined in the executed lease agreement (Please note: the eviction/collections will show up on your public record which I'm sure you'd like to avoid if possible).
To work through this, please feel free to reach out at your convenience.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not an attorney, follow local laws with the language you use, filings, etc.