Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mike Roberts
Votes |
Renting a lake house with use of boat/jet ski?

Mike Roberts
Posted Nov 13 2019, 19:58

I bought a house this summer on a lake. I plan to live here another year or so, but then it will become a rental property. It's in a unique location where I could either rent it like a normal house, or use it for vacation rentals. (Like airbnb type of thing) I haven't decided which option would be best yet.

What I'm thinking, is if I rent it as a vacation rental is to include the use of either a boat or jet ski. They rent them in several other places around the lake, in the neighborhood of $300/day. I could buy a brand new jet ski with a warranty for less than $300/month. I also have a dock where it can be kept. If I only rented it 12 days/year it would be paid for.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? What kind of extra insurance would I need for such a thing? Would my homeowner's policy cover anything like that? Or would I need some sort of commercial insurance? The biggest issue would be liability, one can cause a lot of damage with a jet ski. Maybe something like a pontoon boat would be safer, they are also common rentals around here.

Loading replies...