Should i buy a new oven or keep the used one?

Should i buy a new oven or keep the used one?

Real Estate Investor · Dallas Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 9 votes

One of my tenants offered to sell me their oven for $150. Its in good conditions, a little dirty but I think it could get the job done. I dont know if I should buy it because I want to increase the price on that property and I feel that a new range would be better for rent increase, or keep the old one and save some money. What should I do?

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 323 posts · 224 votes
6y

I am not sure that a new oven would add much value to the rental rate - IMHO.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Bend, OR · Member since 2018 · 323 posts · 224 votes
    6y

    I am not sure that a new oven would add much value to the rental rate - IMHO.

  • Lauren C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hamilton Township, NJ · Member since 2012 · 211 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    What finish is the current range and what would you get to replace it? If the current is white or black and the new one would be stainless steel, I'd go with the new one. Also, we are big on new appliances and updating capex before tenants move in to limit maintenance calls and tenant complaints so again, I would say go with a new range. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    It depends on the condition of the old one compared to the new one. What class property are you in? 

    I like to have spare appliances on hand for a quick swap when one dies. If I wait until something dies, then I'm scrambling to find a used replacement, which is hard to do, and I usually end up buying new.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    If it is in good shape and NOT some hideous colour like avocado, I'd go for it.  You want always buy a new one later.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.