Currently rented to a good tenant who pays on time with zero issues.
Now that I understand my mistakes and know that I can get much better returns for that amount and could have bought a better deal, What would be a good way out of this situation?
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
6y
OK, let me try this again.
1 - Refi makes it worse. You could only get 70% of maybe 90k = 56,000 at a cost of around 260-270/month...which would leave you with about 30-40/mo or a max around 500/year in CF. You would still have 34k in cash left in the deal, which means it will take you almost 70 years to recover it...and start making a profit on the cash flow. Can you say "grandchildren"?
2 - HELOC isn't any better.
3 - If you did nothing, you will have spent 90k plus, with a CF of 3600/year. That will only take you 25 years to recover your cash, but you would have 90k of your cash dead in the water. At least the refi would get you a new 50k+ to reinvest with.
4 - My choice would be to sell it, even if all you walked away with was 70k, and reinvest in in the next deal. Let the next deal recover the 20k you left behind, and start profits from day one.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
if you have it financed at that high a DTV then you only have a small amount of cash in this deal? it may cost you more to sell than the amount of cash you have invested (if I understand what you posted) also, what is the interest rate? is the 4 % CAP calculated on the cash flow including the mortgage payment?
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
6y
OK, let me try this again.
1 - Refi makes it worse. You could only get 70% of maybe 90k = 56,000 at a cost of around 260-270/month...which would leave you with about 30-40/mo or a max around 500/year in CF. You would still have 34k in cash left in the deal, which means it will take you almost 70 years to recover it...and start making a profit on the cash flow. Can you say "grandchildren"?
2 - HELOC isn't any better.
3 - If you did nothing, you will have spent 90k plus, with a CF of 3600/year. That will only take you 25 years to recover your cash, but you would have 90k of your cash dead in the water. At least the refi would get you a new 50k+ to reinvest with.
4 - My choice would be to sell it, even if all you walked away with was 70k, and reinvest in in the next deal. Let the next deal recover the 20k you left behind, and start profits from day one.
@Eli Ettinger refinance it and pull your cash out so that you can move to another deal with the current property continuing to cash flow. I don’t this this is as bad as you believe.
if you have it financed at that high a DTV then you only have a small amount of cash in this deal? it may cost you more to sell than the amount of cash you have invested (if I understand what you posted) also, what is the interest rate? is the 4 % CAP calculated on the cash flow including the mortgage payment?
Hi, Thank you for the reply. As my post says, 100% equity. Thanks!
@Eli Ettinger refinance it and pull your cash out so that you can move to another deal with the current property continuing to cash flow. I don’t this this is as bad as you believe.
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
@Eli Ettinger you bought this place with zero down?? I think people are trying to tell you they are not understanding how much cash you have in this deal. that information will help us help you
ETA: ok, I see 90K. i agree sell..... altho all the fess etc will eat a chunk of your investment.
@Eli Ettinger you bought this place with zero down?? I think people are trying to tell you they are not understanding how much cash you have in this deal. that information will help us help you
Sorry I am new on this site, I thought 100% equity = there is no loan.
Rental Property Investor · Houston TX / Tacoma WA. · Member since 2019 · 166 posts · 89 votes
6y
@Eli Ettinger
Cap rate is used more for commercial property and less for Residential investments.
Can you please share the monthly rent and for how long is the lease with the tenant, and also how much is your expenses, so people that don't know how to calculate a cap rate will still be able to provide answers And also use the answers for the benefit for them to understand
Cap rate is used more for commercial property and less for Residential investments.
Can you please share the monthly rent and for how long is the lease with the tenant, and also how much is your expenses, so people that don't know how to calculate a cap rate will still be able to provide answers And also use the answers for the benefit for them to understand
Thank you in advance
Hi Meir, Sure. My bad I guess.. I assumed the terminology is clear but thank you for pointing that out. Am still new on this site.
1 - Refi makes it worse. You could only get 70% of maybe 90k = 56,000 at a cost of around 260-270/month...which would leave you with about 30-40/mo or a max around 500/year in CF. You would still have 34k in cash left in the deal, which means it will take you almost 70 years to recover it...and start making a profit on the cash flow. Can you say "grandchildren"?
2 - HELOC isn't any better.
3 - If you did nothing, you will have spent 90k plus, with a CF of 3600/year. That will only take you 25 years to recover your cash, but you would have 90k of your cash dead in the water. At least the refi would get you a new 50k+ to reinvest with.
4 - My choice would be to sell it, even if all you walked away with was 70k, and reinvest in in the next deal. Let the next deal recover the 20k you left behind, and start profits from day one.
Thank you Sir, appreciate your valuable input and apologize for the unclear post!
1 - Refi makes it worse. You could only get 70% of maybe 90k = 56,000 at a cost of around 260-270/month...which would leave you with about 30-40/mo or a max around 500/year in CF. You would still have 34k in cash left in the deal, which means it will take you almost 70 years to recover it...and start making a profit on the cash flow. Can you say "grandchildren"?
2 - HELOC isn't any better.
3 - If you did nothing, you will have spent 90k plus, with a CF of 3600/year. That will only take you 25 years to recover your cash, but you would have 90k of your cash dead in the water. At least the refi would get you a new 50k+ to reinvest with.
4 - My choice would be to sell it, even if all you walked away with was 70k, and reinvest in in the next deal. Let the next deal recover the 20k you left behind, and start profits from day one.
Thank you Sir, appreciate your valuable input and apologize for the unclear post!
CAP Rate is a commercial term. It doesn't include financing costs. This is residential. Use cash flow instead
1 - Refi makes it worse. You could only get 70% of maybe 90k = 56,000 at a cost of around 260-270/month...which would leave you with about 30-40/mo or a max around 500/year in CF. You would still have 34k in cash left in the deal, which means it will take you almost 70 years to recover it...and start making a profit on the cash flow. Can you say "grandchildren"?
2 - HELOC isn't any better.
3 - If you did nothing, you will have spent 90k plus, with a CF of 3600/year. That will only take you 25 years to recover your cash, but you would have 90k of your cash dead in the water. At least the refi would get you a new 50k+ to reinvest with.
4 - My choice would be to sell it, even if all you walked away with was 70k, and reinvest in in the next deal. Let the next deal recover the 20k you left behind, and start profits from day one.
Thank you Sir, appreciate your valuable input and apologize for the unclear post!
CAP Rate is a commercial term. It doesn't include financing costs. This is residential. Use cash flow instead
Rental Property Investor · Wrentham, MA · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 104 votes
6y
If you are making $1k in rent and only $300 in profit where is the money going if you don't have a mortgage? Are you paying utilities? HOA? What are other two bedroom two bath condo's going for in your area? $1k a month for that condo sounds cheap.
lol, don't listen to them. CAP can be used on your property. But to answer your question:
Since you own all cash, I'd STRONGLY consider putting debt on, and using that to continue to grow.
If you can't get good debt (sub 5%, greater than 70%) then I'd sell and move to the next deal.
Thank you Cody,
I actually spoke to a credit union in TX a few weeks back. and with my credit I can get a loan at around 4+% . in TX one can take up to 80% of the money out.
If I understood you correctly, it does fall within the numbers you have presented, and I should refi and invest the money forward in a much better deal obviously..
Belfast, Northern Ireland · Member since 2018 · 128 posts · 56 votes
6y
@Eli Ettinger
I wouldn't refinance or heloc as that woukd only cut down already slim cash flow. I would either sell or hold, it is all dependant on how much cash you have on hand ready to buy your next deal.
If you have enough cash for your next deal i would just keep this property and move on but if you don't i would sell and then put the cash from the sale into your next deal
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 46 votes
6y
@Eli Ettinger I'm no expert, but if you've deducted tax, insurance, vacancy,money set aside for repair, PM etc...and still profit $300/mth...I think it's a decent deal imo. I would just hold it since appreciation is 5% and maybe refi out later or HELOC to put money into next deal. I'm also interested in what others suggestions are. Thanks for sharing your situation so we can discuss and learn from it and hopefully help you out.
@Eli Ettinger I'm no expert, but if you've deducted tax, insurance, vacancy,money set aside for repair, PM etc...and still profit $300/mth...I think it's a decent deal imo. I would just hold it since appreciation is 5% and maybe refi out later or HELOC to put money into next deal. I'm also interested in what others suggestions are. Thanks for sharing your situation so we can discuss and learn from it and hopefully help you out.
Hi Kalanie,
Yes I have deducted all the above. The profit is after ALL Expenses.
I wouldn't refinance or heloc as that woukd only cut down already slim cash flow. I would either sell or hold, it is all dependant on how much cash you have on hand ready to buy your next deal.
If you have enough cash for your next deal i would just keep this property and move on but if you don't i would sell and then put the cash from the sale into your next deal
I wouldn't refinance or heloc as that woukd only cut down already slim cash flow. I would either sell or hold, it is all dependant on how much cash you have on hand ready to buy your next deal.
If you have enough cash for your next deal i would just keep this property and move on but if you don't i would sell and then put the cash from the sale into your next deal
Hi Eli, Noah is making a decent point. You need to look at your overall situation and your goals too. If you're a high income earner and can gather cash to invest in another place quickly, then sitting on it and taking the roughly 4% return might not be the end of the world, particularly if you get some appreciation too.
If you need this particular cash to make other investments then I guess you should look at pulling it out per one of the suggestions on the thread.
I wouldn't refinance or heloc as that woukd only cut down already slim cash flow. I would either sell or hold, it is all dependant on how much cash you have on hand ready to buy your next deal.
If you have enough cash for your next deal i would just keep this property and move on but if you don't i would sell and then put the cash from the sale into your next deal
Hi Eli, Noah is making a decent point. You need to look at your overall situation and your goals too. If you're a high income earner and can gather cash to invest in another place quickly, then sitting on it and taking the roughly 4% return might not be the end of the world, particularly if you get some appreciation too.
If you need this particular cash to make other investments then I guess you should look at pulling it out per one of the suggestions on the thread.
Thank you TIm, When you say " Pulling it out" do you mean sell or refi?