Need help on getting started

3 Replies

my credit score is 760 right now and I currently have $3500 saved up for a down payment, if I was going for a condo to start as my first rental property, assuming it was somewhere around $150,000, would I be able to do it with such a small down payment? And if so would it be worth the risk to start with such a small down payment or should I save up more before jumping in? Thanks!

If you are going to live in the unit then you can do the 3% down strategy.. however if this an actual investment property, and you just want to do traditional financing, then you will need ~20% down. 

Either way... if you only have $3,500 saved up then I would say hold off. Not to have a bigger down payment but to have a cash safety fund. Also, lenders usually want to see that you have 3-6 months of mortgage payments in cash reserves after purchase before they will approve you for the loan.

You'll need 3 - 5% down if it's owner occupied. If you intend it to be strictly a rental, you'll need 20 - 25% down. You should really speak with 3+ lenders and see what your options are before getting too involved. 

I also recommend you not spend your last dime on a rental. Keep a reserve large enough to handle several months of vacancy, a major repair, or a tenant trashing the place AND it sits vacant for two months.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here