Leave as Single Family or flip to Duplex

2 Replies

Create post

Does it make more sense to leave as a single family or convert to a duplex? The reason I am asking this, is it already has a second kitchen in the bottom level. It is a split entry if that makes any difference. 

This deal is about to begin its rehab and I am not quiet sure what the best approach would be here?

Any help would be great because this is currently my second deal that I am working on.

Thanks in advance

Do you have nearby, similar duplexes that you can use as a comparison?  If it were me I would start with analyzing the difference in rental income of a duplex vs single family.  This of course is assuming you are using this asset as a rental.  

It depends what you want to do with it. Are you going to be living in the space? If so, converting to a duplex may be beneficial. A duplex could also minimize the impact of vacancies if only one unit is empty. 

If you are not living on the property, I think it really just comes down to how much rent you could get for 2 separate units with X amount of bedrooms as opposed to a larger SFH. Look at your local market and see which would yield more cash flow.

In my opinion, there is no reason to waste money converting the property into a duplex if leaving it as a SFH would cash flow the exact same or better.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here