Pittsburgh PA Landlord laws

6 Replies

Hi! We live in NYC and own 2-4 unit investment properties in Pittsburgh, PA that we self-manage. Does anyone know if we have to have a property manager by law due to our physical location? Cannot find any info on that. TIA

@Natasha Nam , excellent question! I trust @Max Feinberg 's response since he is local to there.

I think it's an excellent question because In Pennsylvania it is becoming more common for municipalities to adopt rental ordinances and many do require a local licensed property manager if the owner lives outside a certain radius.

It's great that you are aware and asking the right kinds of questions. 

I know In Mercer  county you need a property manager who actually resides there if you want to rent anything out . Down in Allegheny I’d assume it’s a free for all .

Originally posted by @Natasha Nam :

Hi! We live in NYC and own 2-4 unit investment properties in Pittsburgh, PA that we self-manage. Does anyone know if we have to have a property manager by law due to our physical location? Cannot find any info on that. TIA

Self-management is fine from a state perspective. Local ordinances may be more strict so it is always good to check with your municipality. If you get a PM, note that in PA the property management company must be a licensed real estate broker. Do not accept anyone that is unable to produce that licensure. I self-manage some of my rentals. As I am not a licensed broker, if I was to do it for someone else it would have to be a joint venture where I owned at least 1 share or 1% of the units as otherwise it would be considered practicing real estate without a license.