Silvana Lavado
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Received old sidewalk replacement bill

Silvana Lavado
  • Reston, VA
Posted Dec 14 2019, 10:03

Hi BP!

This is going to be my first question in the forums after buying my first property on July of this year. I bought a triplex, and while I’m extremely happy to be living rent free, the property needs a lot of maintenance so I’m learning the hard way how to become a landlord lol. 

However, my question is in reference to a bill that I received today. I live in Beaver, PA and the city sent a reminder of a bill that was invoiced and sent to the old owner on February, 2019. They sent the bill directly to the old owner’s address. 

As you can imagine, Ihad no idea of this bill. The owner never disclosed this bill during closing. The deadline for payment is February, 2020 so a lien hasn’t been placed on the property - that’s why it wasn’t picked up during title search.

So, BP community, I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if there’s something that I can legally do to get the owner to pay the bill. The amount is $2,830.84, so I’m reluctant to pay it without fighting it a little. 

Of course, I haven’t talk to the old owner yet. I want to know if what my options are before I approach him. I have his address. He lives nearby - unless he changed his address which I doubt. I could either pay a visit or send a letter.

What do you recommend? Is there something I can do? Or am I stuck with the bill?

Thank you! 

Loading replies...