Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
Votes |
What to do? Tenant's neighbor is complaining about tenant

Account Closed
Posted Dec 29 2019, 11:30

Hello,

i need some advice on how to handle this tenant issue.

my husband brought this tenant to the rental home in 2016. She's been there with 3 kids since then. My husband died last year, so I've been managing the rental since then.

The tenant has always paid rent on time and been respectful/ good- when I have dealt with her. She doesn't bother me with minor issues and takes good care of the property.

we renewed a yearly lease in November 2019. I did a walk through prior to renewal and it was all ok. She asked me if she could have a friends dog there and I said in an email- NO. 

i met the tenant's boyfriend when I did the walk through. I did not get the impression he lived there and there were no signs of a dog there.

i got a voicemail from the tenant's neighbor a little while back. In the voicemail,  the neighbor said

the tenant had been rude to her and had threatened her. She also had said the tenant had a dog and that it " came at the neighbor" up to the fence ( they are separated by a fence). So the neighbor called the police. I took a look at the police report and it didn't assign blame to anyone/ resulted in nothing. The neighbor was rude to me in her voicemail- so I addressed the issue with the tenant and not the neighbor. I told the tenant that the dog couldn't be in the rental anymore- that was prior to this email below and prior to the walkthrough with the tenant.

so today I received this email from the tenant's neighbor today. And I am looking for suggestions on how to deal with it.  I know I need to be sure that the boyfriend isn't living there ( he is not on the lease )and that a dog isn't there ever but when it comes to the neighbor, I think it's more of an issue of them just not liking each other . I think the neighbor wants to get rid of the tenants because she doesn't like her. When I ask the tenant if she had threatened the neighbor she denied it.

i wanted to come up with a game plan prior to contacting the tenant or neighbor.

Thanks

"My property buts up to this property and I've had nothing but issues with the woman renting the property for almost 3 years. She moved in right after we purchased our home. 
She had a boyfriend move in with a pitbull which made us uneasy with our small dogs. When she moved in her son was really small and I told her that my male schnauzer had not been around kids and that I would appreciate that she keep her son away from our fence as I don't know if my dog would bite.
I've actually had to call the Cape Coral police on her as she threatened me a few months ago that she was going to come to my home and kick my ***. Today my dogs were out and barked at the fence and she through it would be funny to bark back at them. All that does is antagonize them. Later the younger child said that I was mean to them and not nice (obviously something she's taught him). I responded back, sorry I'm not being mean and then she got very aggressive again and told me not to talk to her kid. Then she stood at the fence expecting me to come out and have a confrontation with her, which I won't do. I don't want to have to call the police again, but there's no way to avoid them since my yard backs up to theirs. All they do when they are out back is antagonize my dogs then I can't let them outside and is verbally abusive to me. The boyfriend isn't there much, but he's really nice.
I am also a property owner of rentals and I would not put up with this in my rentals no matter if they were a good paying tenant or not. Matter of fact, I had an issue similar and suggested that it was best we part ways and I let them out of their lease 3 months early.
If you're managing this property, can you please get something done about this woman? She's has a really short fuze and I fear that she will do something to hurt either my dogs or me. "

Loading replies...