User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Tenant Needs Your Perspective

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 11:04

Hi all,

Newbie here and certainly one from the other side of the fence... but I like getting an "informed" perspective when I have a problem.

I hope you guys will read this and give me your thoughts.

First - a bit of background:
My husband and I are what (we believe) most landlords would consider dream tenants. Seven years in place, never late on the rent (not even once!). We do small repairs ourselves and have kept the place up very, very well. Even making substantial improvements to the landscaping - just b/c we live here and wanted to love where we live.

Until the last couple months - we had a GREAT relationship with the landlord. She adored us and left us alone. The latter part is really all we much cared about.

But then we went and bought a house... gave her three months notice... and she has had plenty access to the house to inspect it and declared "no damages".

But... it's been seven years so the landlord wants to replace the carpet, linolium, paint - which is all great for whomever is next...

...Except... she's bound and determined to have it done before we leave. Point in fact, we've bent over backwards to be here so she could get in and snoop looking for problems on numerous occasions over the last few months... but recently she's called us while we were out (from our driveway) telling us that she needs to "Get in NOW!" - demanding that we return to accomadate her.

And now she wants to parade contractors through our home (which we have paid for through the end of the month) to get estimates on upgrades - and start the renovations before we go (while boxes are stacked floor to ceiling, etc., etc., etc.)

It came to a head last week - and this Friday she posted our front door indicating yet ANOTHER inspection. She showed up, picked a fight, and said that - despite our protests - she would come in when we were not here, bringing whomever she wanted (meaning contractors) through without our knowledge - and that was that.

We told her that was breaking and enetring and she said "Call it whatever you want."

We asked her to leave and she refused. We had to threaten to call the cops.

So... we've had to move some property out of the house (highly portable, very attractive valuables) b/c we are taking her at her word that she's going to B&E the place.

My question is... what do you guys think... and can this be construed as "constructive eviction"?

Thanks.

--Grace

Loading replies...