User Stats

Votes
Linda Jolibois
Votes |
Tenant problem/communication issues

Linda Jolibois
Posted Jan 8 2020, 23:34

Hi

Thank you in advance for all the help. I bought my first duplex summer 2018 in stoughton, Ma. I’m house hacking and renting upstairs to this new tenant signed a 15 months lease starting Oct 2019-December 2020. I thought I did all of my due diligence on selecting the right one now I’m not too sure.

The unit is newly renovated as I was living there for the first year of ownership and did a lot of work to make it turned key (I guess). The tenant I had downstairs moved to FL so I moved down to do the same thing an rent upstairs to a young couple I found in Facebook marketplace. 

They came to look at the place the same weekend, filled out application, gave me each two paystubs and letter from their previous landlord because when I asked for their reason for moving they said their place were being torned down for rebuild and that they have been living there for 9 years and the guy also work for the landlord for 9 years as well (too good to be true). After I did all my stuff, I even drove by the apartment to see if there was any work being done (there was nothing, I figured they just didn’t start yet) after I spoke with a friend who owns a few rentals I decided to rent to them. After I informed them of when to bring the 1,last, deposit the landlord/boss actually called me again to say that he will be paying for them with a company check because he’s helping them out he’s a good employee (my gut told me no  but I didn’t listen) 

They asked to move in a week early I said no then move in October 1, 2019 as planned. Not even a week after they moved in they took out light fixtures and stove hood because they didn’t like it.

November 1 comes they don’t pay, I sent a quick reminder text no answer. By the 5th I knock on their door they told me they don’t have they have it in 3 days and I told them that’s fine because I have a 9 day grace period on the lease. I just asked them to just let me know in advance when and if they not going to pay on the 1st. 

Mid November they were going to sign a paper for me to have the city installed insulation to the property which they agreed before they signed the lease then when I asked for the paper back. They informed me that they will only sign it if I reduce the rent (keep in mind that although the unit is updated I m renting it’s still at least 200 under market rate and for 15 months) . I told them I will not do that. And ever since they are more worst nightmare. 

December 8 I ask for rent that’s when she finally told me that he lost his job and that they will give rent the next day. Which they did on the 9th. 

January 3, 2020 I ask when will they have it no response. 8th I asked again they getting worked up and saying because of my bad attitude they have 10 days to pay don’t knock on their door until then . 

They are being rude and disrespectful downright obnoxious and I no longer wants to deal with. 

I just need some advice on what steps could I take on getting rid of them since the lease don’t end until December. 

I already told them since they are not happy here they are welcome to move and I won’t consider them breaking the lease. Just give me 30 days notice and return the apartment how they found it and I will give them their deposit back within 14 days 

what else can I do?

Loading replies...