Driveway on neighbors property

3 Replies

I'm looking to expand my driveway. It currently can fit about 3 cars single file which is a huge pain. I started getting quotes in the late fall with plans to start it in the spring. After doing some research it seems like I would want about 24'. I would be able to widen my driveway to about 20' to keep it completely on my property. The contractor suggested asking the neighbor if I could widen it a couple feet into his property. We would still have about 2-3' of grass between our driveways. I like the idea but I feel like this could lead to problems in the future. Has anyone done this before? What issues could I face doing this? 

Thanks for any info advice 

The issue is the neighbor saying no, and/ or if you don't get a recorded easement they or some future owner would change their mind and want you to tear out the driveway.  If I'm your neighbor I probably say no especially if you aren't offering anything.

Originally posted by @Aaron K. :

The issue is the neighbor saying no, and/ or if you don't get a recorded easement they or some future owner would change their mind and want you to tear out the driveway.  If I'm your neighbor I probably say no especially if you aren't offering anything.

To add on to this caution, I had a coworker with a weird situation to his personal home where the driveway had the property line going down the middle of it.  It was a small driveway and I can't remember if only one car would fit on it or two passenger cars would, but it was tight.  But it was something like that, so he needed access to more than half.

He happily lived in that house for YEARS with the same neighbors who had the other half of the driveway.  They didn't use the driveway much anyway.  Great neighbor relationship.

Until those neighbors sold their house to someone else. Then the parking wars started. Obviously I'm just getting his side, but he supposedly tried a number of compromises with the new owner and they wouldn't work with him. Including offer them a nice chunk of money to sell him their half of the driveway (something like that). No dice on that either.

He ended up selling his house within two years.  While the driveway controversy wasn't the only reason, it was a main one.

If I were to get an easement would I be protecting myself and my investment? One offer I was going to give was to have their skirt redone at the same time since our driveway skirts are attached.