Resource For Tenant Landlord Laws

4 Replies

I'm a young homeowner that is interested in buying and renting / selling property.
I've got a property that I'm interested in renting in a few months but I want to educate myself in accordance to my local and federal landlord vs. tenant laws.

Where is a good place to go from here? I've looked around on the Internet and found some good resources but they have all been pay and I have a good feeling that if I look hard enough I could find these for free. I've read some things on lexus-nexus but there isn't too much there. What information and formalities are required for buying renting and selling property? What are the legal documents or applications that are required to be filled?

Does anyone have some great resources outside of this site (which has some great insight)

I would find your state's property code online. This where the laws will be, and I always prefer to read it directly from the law.

Next I would track down your local apartment association. They are an EXCELLENT resource for landlords.

There are actually many things that are required to be filled by the owner/buyer. The application forms that he will need are: Rental application form, residential lease form, pet agreement etc. There is a site which contains all type of such forms. I don’t remember the name exactly. I think it’s ezlandlordforms.com. You can try and find out. You can see and decide what kind of application is required at present.

Your local apartment association will have state specific and landlord friendly apps, forms, and leases. They will also help you understand the laws. Remember landlord/tenant laws are state determined, so its important to not only know and understand YOUR state's laws, but use leases designed for it. The Texas Apartment Assciation lease that I use not only cuts down on my eviction time, but it also covers every nook and cranny of the Texas Property Code for my benefit. The actual association is an invaluable resource also. Whenever I have a question, I can call and get state specific advice from an extremely knowledgeable staff.

Nolo and the Landlord Protection Agency both have free links to state-specific landlord tenant laws. http://www.nolo.com/statute/state.cfm
http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/lllaw.html

Landlord tenant "knowledge" amongst novice and pros alike is often based on myth, hearsay, and guesses, rather than legitimate information. You are doing the right thing by seeking out the source of the law for your state and local area. I had an entire room cry foul when I described my late fee program in Massachusetts, claiming I violated the law and that late fees were not allowed; a few seconds later on my PDA, I downloaded the specific statute the allowed precisely what I did. Emailed it to them for the next month's meeting and most members shrugged it off, something like "that's what I thought it probably was..."

Most books are written generally so they can apply (and be sold) across all 50 states, which guarantees that they are not specific enough to be able to trust their guidance for your state, county, and city. Check with your mayor's office, bureau of consumer affairs or something like that, or the state level too.

Perhaps the single fastest, and best place to look is at your local TENANT ADVOCACY group! They have more hard information and case law handy than you can shake a stick at. You might even get on their good side if you talk to them before you have a problem!

Get the real data and don't trust your investments to hearsay. Good job!