Tenant said he'd be naked when I'm doing tours for new tenants

92 Replies

@Jack B. As long as you have Control of the residence for viewing.. If Tenant chose to expose theirself to viewers of the property it would be a police matter from that point on. Anyway it should not get to this if you pursue Eviction Protocols.

Originally posted by @Andy Mirza :

I don't know the laws regarding renters in your area. From my experience dealing with renters and occupants here in CA and in other states across the country, my understanding is that you still need the cooperation of the tenants regardless of whatever notice you've given them. The 24 or 48 hour notice is necessary but doesn't give you the absolute right to barge into someone else's leasehold without their permission. They've paid rent, they're entitled to the use of that space for the duration of the lease. 

In California, the law allows the landlord to enter into the property with 24 hours notice for showings (and several other issues) as long as they are during weekdays 8 AM to 5 PM unless other times is agreed upon with the tenant. There is no need for tenant approval. 

I put it in my leases 8 AM to 8 PM any day. Of course, I always try to work with the tenant first. 

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Jay Hinrichs

9/10 properties in any category will show better vacant than with tenants crap strewn about in them. But, there are lots of markets where those searching are used to looking at tenanted properties. And even if not, why guarantee a vacancy if you can avoid one? And if you ever do get that 1/10 that looks better, it’s often worth asking to photograph the unit with their items in it for advertising purposes. 

I take many quality photos of a unit after the first turnover under new ownership, but before a place the first tenant.   Then I just use those pics in my ad each time there is a vacancy.  If there is ever a material change in the looks of the apartment, I would just update the appropriate pics.

Originally posted by @Greg M. :
Originally posted by @Andy Mirza:

I don't know the laws regarding renters in your area. From my experience dealing with renters and occupants here in CA and in other states across the country, my understanding is that you still need the cooperation of the tenants regardless of whatever notice you've given them. The 24 or 48 hour notice is necessary but doesn't give you the absolute right to barge into someone else's leasehold without their permission. They've paid rent, they're entitled to the use of that space for the duration of the lease. 

In California, the law allows the landlord to enter into the property with 24 hours notice for showings (and several other issues) as long as they are during weekdays 8 AM to 5 PM unless other times is agreed upon with the tenant. There is no need for tenant approval. 

I put it in my leases 8 AM to 8 PM any day. Of course, I always try to work with the tenant first. 

That's not relevant to the discussion. What is relevant is the enforcement of that totally legal clause not being worth the hassle when a tenant isn't interested in complying.

“You really wanted to be branded as a sexual offender and have to register as such for the rest of your life? Especially if visitors have children?”

End of discussion. 

Originally posted by @Matthew Reardon :

Note to self, place the OP on the list of people to never do business with.

Ad hominem galore

Ditto.  I'm not sure I've ever seen such an overreaction on here,  and that's saying something.

I'm still trying to figure out why the original poster even posted his question/thoughts if he just wanted to tear apart everyone's answer.  This is a GREAT forum, because folks willingly share information that it would take hundreds of years, properties and experiences to get... we get it all in one place for FREE.  If you don't like someone's advice, just ignore it.  It takes a LOT less energy to be respectful than it does to be rude.

I think @Jack B. is venting, more than seeking advice.

I am certainly not left-coast, but, when I post in a public forum, I would be aware that I will hear different opinions.

Take everything said here and use as you see fit.

I do understand how you might feel, after your kindness in not increasing rent over the years and suddenly facing non-cooperation from the beneficiaries of your kindness. But you aren’t being kind to the posters here. The posters owe you nothing, yet they are chiming in.

Separate your emotion from obtaining your objective - to show the place to prospective tenants. I have a feeling that everything will be fine after all, once your temper is given time to cool down. Wishing you the best.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Andy Mirza:

@Jack B. Maybe you've overreacted because you're sensitive to the term "power trip." Your attacks on me were our over the top and out of line. Anybody that reads my posts will understand that you're way off base. I am certainly not a troll....

I think the guy's comment about being naked was a way of saying "no," that he really didn't want you to come at that time. Maybe he was intentionally being rude to you, I don't know. Either way, we clearly have differences of opinion. I'm sorry that "power trip" offended you. To my reading of it, your approach seemed aggressive and that was why I commented as I did.

@Henry Lazerow @James Wise Our approach to rentals and occupants is more in line with yours....

Andy agree you were just sayin what you would do.. Not sure why Jack then went on a tirade.  from my perspective V day is an important date night for many.. and well I think one wants to be careful also that the tenant does not get super peeved and create a lot of damage on the way out.. Tenants can be vindictive buggers.. And to me I would think it would have been just as easy to schedule a Sat. showing for this new perspective tenant and keep everyone calm and not get into a war of words with your tenants.. 

Am I the only one who's going to state the obvious here? They gave notice to leave end of March. 10 day um, spend your money and beat your chest about the law all you want, no court is removing them prior to the day they plan on being out. It's at least 6 weeks in semi landlord friendly areas. This happening in Seattle isn't gonna speed that up lol.

Im the last guy to be accused of being a tenant sympathizer but good God not every battle needs to be faught.

@Jack B.

Charge him a fee for not complying with lease rules. $75 for each violation. Keep records of his correspondence and use it to hold his security deposit if you can’t collect the payment from him before he moves out.

@Jack B.

Work with the tenant. The law is one thing but tenants could care less and as somebody who is normally cut and dry I would want my property manager to work it out. Now if its a few times then yes but if they are on way out 10 days notice does not help at all, it just makes things contentious until they leave and you are wasting yours and everyone else's time.

Next time just tell the current tenant that you will let the prospective tenant, Babba, know that the showing is a clothing optional event.  Then ask if he should bring slippers to wear or if your provide them or are bare feet ok in the unit.  Let him know that Bubba is a wrestler and will be really excited that it is clothing optional.  He already asked if he could lie on the bed to see if the room feels right.

@Jack B. , in truth, you created the problem by 1.  not doing inspections and 2.  not increasing the rent (both of which let the tenants think they were in charge), and 3.  scheduling a non-time critical showing on a holiday and at dinner time when the holiday is typically celebrated with a romantic dinner and quiet, personal evening.  At the time you scheduled, they could not cook dinner until after you left, making dinner much later than typical.

Yes, you could schedule it with notice as you wish, but why when you are 6 weeks from vacancy not avoid holidays, birthdays, anniversaries?  You build your reputation by your actions.

@Jack B.

Be nice! I did not know the laws regarding walk throughs either but just a simple explanation would suffice. Is there a good reason to ridicule, call names, or call people’s’ intelligence into question for sharing different views? Isn’t it just as easy to just explain?

Originally posted by @Jack B. :
you're the one on a power trip telling ME how to run MY business...

You realize you came on a public forum and literally asked everyone "what to do?". You received advice you don't agree with, so you go on a tirade over nothing. You start by whipping out your dick and calling out the guys $2m portfolio. Congrats? Sorry but your no big dick around here or anywhere else. Relax. Maybe this is why lefty Seattle hates you landlords there. 

If guys like Jay & James agree, with the amount of experience they have, your not really on the winning side of things.