Replacing Heating furnace system for a Single family home

7 Replies

Trying to replace the aged heating furnace in my property. Since the property is in California i need a low NOX system. My contractor offered three types Lennox, Goodman and Trane systems. All 3 options with 5 Ton single stage 80% efficiency. Pricing is same for all three brands. I was told by the contractor that Goodman may be a better choice than other two. Any tips or advise? 

Goodman is the cheapo model of those 3. Personally I think Trane is the best of what you listed, followed by Lennox. 

Goodman furnaces are crap coming from someone that has installed many furnaces and has serviced many. They're builder grade compared to Lennox or Trane.

If you want to save some money use another brand that Lennox owns like armstrong air or ducane. lennox is owned by allied air and allied air owns a bunch of other brands that in a nut shell are a lennox unit with a different paint job. 

5 ton that must be a big footprint?? 

We've installed a lot of Goodmans in rentals/flips etc, yet the one Lenox was nothing but trouble for 7 years, lost both the blower & inducer motors in the middle of the 2nd winter. Admittedly the parts were covered under warranty but trying to find the parts was a chore. Meanwhile my 4 ton Bryant-White furnace has been excellent for 25 years & we just replaced the blower motor $200.

@Madhavan Thiyagarajan definitely go Trane or Goodman. Each are going to have their own problems. I do know that in Georgia it is more expensive to REPAIR a Trane unit when things start to breakdown.

Would recommend Goodman more than likely but Trane would be just fine as well.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here