• Niles, OH
Votes |
Your opinion on this situation?

Allan Landfried
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Niles, OH
Posted Jan 9 2013, 05:14

Hello BiggerPockets! :)

I have been reading this forum for a while now… almost daily! I finally have a question that I think is worthy of the board.

My Background…
I have been a landlord of 4 units now for about 5 years. 2 single family and a duplex.

The Situation…
My sister leased a single family home from a friend of the family. The lease was for 1 year. About 4 months into it she found an unbelievable deal on a house with acreage. She spoke with the landlord about getting out of the lease early. He said that is fine if he can find some one to replace her. She continued to pay the rent while she was moving out. On the 15th of Nov the landlord stated he had someone to replace her, and that she needed to be completely out by the end of the month. She moved out, took pictures and turned the key into the landlords drop box on the 20th. She did not pay Dec rent and never heard from him until a few days ago. He was upset because when she moved out she turned the electric off in the house. (she did not realize that the elec. had to be on for the gas furnace to work) The landlord stated that the new tenant fell through and could not rent the property. He said that she would be liable for the rest of the lease and because nobody turned the elec. on, any damage (if any) done due to freezing pipes.

My Position on the Situation…
I feel that she did her part for the lease and it is not her fault that the new tenant fell through. He asked her to be completely out so the new tenant could move in. She turned in the keys and was completely moved out like he asked. I feel at that point the lease was terminated and she is no longer responsible for the lease or property and any damages after.

Your opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-Allan Landfried

Loading replies...