Tenant lease ended 3/15, she said she couldn't leave & paid for two more weeks. She owes 100$ still, broke lease monthly, destroyed house, I'm worried of lawn fines. Shes not packing and doesn't plan on paying rent because coronaviras says no evictions in Ky. Is it eviction when lease ended? If I raise drastically to encourage her leaving? Suggestions? My mortgage has to be paid regardless of coronaviras, how is she getting to stay?
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
If she's not paying rent and not moving, she's a holdover. I assume that they're protected by the eviction moratorium too. Just make sure you file all the correct sequence of notices so that when the moratorium ends you'll be in line for a court date. It may also be worth a conversation with her to get her to understand what effect filing an eviction against her will do to her future ability to secure housing. Some tenants think that the eviction issue "excuses" them from having to pay rent. Perhaps clarify that isn't the case.
Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
6y
@Kira Simmons send her a new month to month lease for April going forward. I have always raised the rents for month to month by 50 dollars a month. I don’t recommend that but I do think a month to month lease is the way to go for you right now.
Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
If she's not paying rent and not moving, she's a holdover. I assume that they're protected by the eviction moratorium too. Just make sure you file all the correct sequence of notices so that when the moratorium ends you'll be in line for a court date. It may also be worth a conversation with her to get her to understand what effect filing an eviction against her will do to her future ability to secure housing. Some tenants think that the eviction issue "excuses" them from having to pay rent. Perhaps clarify that isn't the case.