• SFR Investor
  • South Bend, IN
Votes |
Should I fire my property manager

Amie D.
  • SFR Investor
  • South Bend, IN
Posted Jan 31 2013, 10:51

I am an out of state landord and have been working with a property manager on one of my properties for about two years.

He has been great at keeping the place rented, getting decent bids on repairs, doesn't upcharge things, and his management fees are good compared to others in the area. (8%/mo + 1/2 months rent to find a new tenant, most others charge at least 10% and 1 mos rent to move someone in plus fees on renewals.)

However, he does not get back to me in a timely matter. I could call him about something, and it could be a week before I hear from him, if I even do. Normally it's because I have to contact him again and be more stern, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH XYX? Part of this is probably my fault for letting it go on like this, but before, I had a full time job as well as a separate remodel going on and so wouldn't keep up with things as well as I could now.

I brought it up with him recently and said, "You seem very hard to get a hold of. I would appreciate it if we could touch base within 48 hours of any communication." He promptly agreed to this, and yet the problem is still going on.

Because he does a good job otherwise, am I being too picky? I still have a billing issue w/the water company from last September that is unresolved through him as well, for example, and can't get a straight answer for him as to what is going on. I recently asked him what the current tenant's intentions are as we are coming upon the high season, and again have gotten no response, after twice trying to get this information. My monthly statements have become "only when asked for" statements.

I am sort of hesitant to change managers as the last one had my property vacant for six months and was truly even worse.

Loading replies...