Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties
Account Closed
Votes |
What would be a reasonable pet charges for this situation?

Account Closed
Posted Apr 20 2020, 13:54

I’m a new landlord. My tenant is a few months into his lease and wants to have his girlfriend move in. I don’t have a problem with the girlfriend moving in (pending background check), but she has a dog. My tenant already has a dog and a cat. His lease agreement states there’s a maximum of two pets in the property.

I do understand his situation, so I am leaning toward allowing the third dog. I initially charged my tenant $150 non refundable pet fee and $200 per pet security fee. I have spoken to some people and was advised to charge $250-500 pet fee and a $25-30 pet rent. Would it be reasonable to charge a $250 pet fee for this additional pet and a $30 monthly pet rent? Should I still include a deposit? I did turn down an applicant before because she had 3 dogs even though she was willing to pay a little bit more than the advertised rate since she had more pets than I was accepting at the time ($2100 since she had 3 dogs and one was bigger than I was okay with vs $1950 advertised price). What would you suggest?

Also, if I allow this change in lease agreement now, how can I make it so I don’t sound like a pushover landlord and not be taken advantage of in the remaining months of his lease?

Thank you.

Loading replies...