Property Manager vs owner on lease

12 Replies

When we go with property managers and create rental lease with tenants, is it typical to put property managers name on the rental lease (as landlord/lessor) vs owners name/llc?

Got conflicting answers so wondering what’s the norm

My PM company puts the lease in the owner's name as landlord, but we sign as Authorized Manager. Our management agreement provides this signature authority and the lease defines us as the authorized manager. 

Our company's lease lists us as the landlord. It's never been an issue if there's a transition of management mid-lease. A property can also be sold mid-lease, even if it's the owner's name being used as LL.

We also put the owners name on the lease and we are identified as the Agent of the owner.

The lease agreement is in the owner's name with my company as the Landlord's Agent.

Our lease is with the PM company signing as the Landlord's Agent. An assignability clause should be standard in every lease, this way if the relationship sours or if the Landlord sells the property, the lease is assign to the next party. 

When it comes to selling a property, leases"run with the property". Therefore it doesn't matter who's name is listed as landlord. Even if is under PM or self managed, the lease stays fully in force until the lease end date. Now this could be state specific, but I'd be willing to bet this is the law most places. 

Originally posted by @Drew Sygit :

We also put the owners name on the lease and we are identified as the Agent of the owner.

This is what we do here in NJ.