General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
John Smith
Votes |
Is there a way forward from the past?

John Smith
Posted Jul 18 2020, 09:55

Hi all, I hope everyone is well and making it in these crazy days. 

*Have a question that I am hoping professionals can weigh in on. I am setting out to rent an apartment, and happy about it. But also nervous. The problem is, I have a past. At 18 (~15 yrs ago) I became a convicted felon after a very unfortunate incident driven by the INCREDIBLY stupid decision to take drugs and a horrible reaction to their effects. The details of the situation are not easy to talk about, and certainly I can see a potential landlord's trepidation when seeing them at a glance. But that is not who I was even then, and certainly not who I am now. 

My life has changed in so many ways since then. I got my degree, have a great job, and, most importantly, I have been completely drug free since. Literally (knock on wood) have not had a speeding ticket since. I have excellent family support (and have been living the past few years in a family owned property. My question is essentially, as landlords, would you give me a chance? I get all kinds of advice from people, ranging from "just don't bring it up" to " you'll definitely find something" but I would like to hear it from professionals / owners. 

Any advice anyone could provide about how to navigate this situation, and what are some best practices, even personal stances on the matter would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Loading replies...