Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Laffey
  • Bay Area, CA.
Votes |
Buying occupied Duplex in CA - can I move in?

Kyle Laffey
  • Bay Area, CA.
Posted Aug 1 2020, 15:48

This duplex popped up in the perfect neighborhood of Bay Area, the first of its kind in over 10 years to be listed. There were bad photos and incorrect listing information, so I was able to see it first and make an offer before anyone else! Here's the catch...

My offer is 100k below asking price with contingency that one of the units be vacant so I can move in - she said NO due to contingency, not price. Apparently the seller is acting weird and just not wanting to deal with asking this guy to leave / evicting him. He's got a lot of guns, taxidermy, dirt bikes, etc. and scares her.

My question is - given I won't see an opportunity like this again in this area, should I proceed with buying the duplex at a fantastic price? His lease is month-to-month so I can give him 30-day notice, potentially offer cash-for-keys, or wait until courts are open to evict him (uncertain of when this will be). However it's unclear on how long this will take or what it will cost. Apparently it plays in my favor that I want to move in to the property myself rather than evict him for a new tenant?

Thank you in advance for taking the time and for any ideas!

Cheers,

Kyle

Note: Yes, I am working with a good agent + lawyer to find out my options; I simply wanted to bounce the ideas around here to see if there's any new perspectives.

Loading replies...