Votes
Brandon Miller
  • Weatherford TX
Votes |
Pay off rental mortgage or reinvest?

Brandon Miller
  • Weatherford TX
Posted Aug 5 2020, 12:47

Hello next year I will be buying my first rental property. I wanted to get your opinion on paying off your rental property mortgage one at a time before buying the next rental or not? The way my numbers will work out is this time next year I should be saving a good amount per month so I used rough numbers to figure out when I could retire. Based on the method of paying off rental property before buying the next one for a $150,000 dollar home that rents for $1500, every time you pay one off the cash flow would grow from around (150-200) to (1150-1200) which you could then reinvest into the second property. Over the course of 15 years you could get 7 properties paid off making a pretty nice amount per year. I am struggling to see the benefit of just buying rentals and not paying them off because to get that much cash flow you would need around (35-47) properties which would take longer to save up and get that many? Am I way off here? Now I know 150-200 cash flow on a $150,000 puts me around 5% CoC return and I should be looking for around 12% but I am basing these numbers off what I can just easily see on zillow. Do I need to go back to the drawing board because I have missed something important here?

Loading replies...