General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Alexander Hish
Votes |
Eviction and Non-Renewal of Lease

Alexander Hish
Posted Aug 31 2020, 13:44

I have a tenant that is on a month to month lease. They are refusing to pay their sewage bill. These tenants owe about $900 for running into the garage door, among other smaller damages, which is more than the deposit. I am confident they will probably not be paying for the garage door in full so I want an eviction on their record to get them kicked out of the sect 8 program. Would I proceed with eviction and also specify non renewal of the lease due to unpaid utility bills or should I totally leave out the non-renewal? My lease states tenants must promptly pay utility bills so I can certainly evict based on that alone. However with covid and the tenant being low income and a single mother of two it might get dragged out. With non renewal however I obviously don't have to provide any reason. 

I'm assuming it wont come to this and the tenant is likely probing to see how much a pushover I will be about the bill. They will likely pay after I politely remind them they are in violation of their lease.

Loading replies...