Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Noureen A S.
Votes |
How do I prevent tall grass violations on section 8 rental home?

Noureen A S.
Posted Sep 16 2020, 16:36

I'm renting out my townhome for section 8 for the first time.

When the previous (non-section 8) tenant occupied, I received a fine for a tall grass violation (the tenant did not own a lawn mower and I did not hire enough landscaping services throughout their tenancy). The fine was $350.

For the new section 8 tenant, is it fair to pass this fine along to them if it's written into the lease? (am I even allowed to write that into the lease? "tall grass city code violations will be the responsibility of the tenant" for instance...)

Even if I could make lawn maintenance and code violations the responsibility of the tenant, would that be fair if the tenant does not own a lawn mower to begin with? I suppose I could strongly suggest it when they sign the lease...

I'm out of state, otherwise, I'd mow the lawn myself.

To avoid the fine, I could hire someone and I'd just have to figure this as a monthly expense (a reliable mower in that area costs $50/job - I would need him at least 9x a year - 1/mth in spring/summer and 3 times during the fall/winter at least).

I'm finding it difficult to expect/ask a section 8 tenant to buy a lawn mower for the property. My own mower cost $400 and its battery-powered (not the best).

Please help me think this through: for those of you with section 8 properties that are susceptible to tall grass violations, how do you handle this?

User Stats

Votes
      Peter M.
      • Rental Property Investor
      • DFW, TX
      Votes |
      • Rental Property Investor
      • DFW, TX
      Replied Jun 19 2021, 05:55

@Noureen A S. Hire a company to mow twice a month and add it to the rent. I used to do it as the tenants responsibility and they would inevitably forget. Less hassle and your property always looks good.

User Stats

Votes
      Frank Chin
      • Investor
      • Bayside, NY
      Votes |
      • Investor
      • Bayside, NY
      Replied Jun 19 2021, 09:51

@Noureen A S.

Had a SFH rental since 1985. First 15 years, had tenants do it, resulting in trouble with neighbors, the town, hassles with tenants. After that, I had a landscaper for $100/month, now $125/month, with markets rents of $2,900, not only does he keep the lawn in pristine shape, but when vacancies occur, I ask him to shovel snow in the winter, or go by to pick stuff off the lawn.

Landscapers mow, using mowers, but also do edging using a edge trimmer. Otherwise, grass on the edges and weeds grow sideways. Once I complained to a tenant the lawns not edged, and all nearby owner occupied properties do that, he looked shocked, and said "I have to get an edger also"? And neighbors would look at my lawn and say under their breath, " these absentee owners ruin the neighborhood".

I finally gave up on tenants doing when I had constant issues with one of them when neighbors complained to me, then to the town, the town send inspectors. Call the tenant up and he tells me his mower broke, deciding on whether to buy a new one or get a fixed. A week later, with the grass taller, said he got a kid on the block to do it. Another week goes by, got more complaints said the kids mower conked out while doing my lawn , and the kids dad wouldn't let his son continue since the tall messy grass ruined their mower. Later that summer went out to see what's going on and found that he's suffering a recurring battle with depression, didn't shave or got a haircut or showered for at least six months. Doing my lawn wasn't the only problem. So I have to decide, have him look for a landscaper or should I look for one. With good luck, a landscaper was doing a neighboring lawn, and had him do mine. Didn't get into arguments with the tenant over charging him for mowing as I evicted him for non payment of rent shortly after.

This property is in the NYC suburbs, great appreciation, so paying $125/month from March to November is no big deal with the peace and quiet. Had a pest problem once, and the exterminators told me to clear the grass close to the house and look for holes to fill, and had the same landscaper do it for me which he did. 

Bottom line, when I have blue collar type tenants, they have no issues fixing, mowing and generally take care of the place. With higher paid professionals, better income, better credit, the condition of the property is secondary to them, so a good landscaper fills that void.

BiggerPockets logo
      Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
      |
      BiggerPockets
      PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.