Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Noureen A S.
Votes |
How do I prevent tall grass violations on section 8 rental home?

Noureen A S.
Posted Sep 16 2020, 16:36

I'm renting out my townhome for section 8 for the first time.

When the previous (non-section 8) tenant occupied, I received a fine for a tall grass violation (the tenant did not own a lawn mower and I did not hire enough landscaping services throughout their tenancy). The fine was $350.

For the new section 8 tenant, is it fair to pass this fine along to them if it's written into the lease? (am I even allowed to write that into the lease? "tall grass city code violations will be the responsibility of the tenant" for instance...)

Even if I could make lawn maintenance and code violations the responsibility of the tenant, would that be fair if the tenant does not own a lawn mower to begin with? I suppose I could strongly suggest it when they sign the lease...

I'm out of state, otherwise, I'd mow the lawn myself.

To avoid the fine, I could hire someone and I'd just have to figure this as a monthly expense (a reliable mower in that area costs $50/job - I would need him at least 9x a year - 1/mth in spring/summer and 3 times during the fall/winter at least).

I'm finding it difficult to expect/ask a section 8 tenant to buy a lawn mower for the property. My own mower cost $400 and its battery-powered (not the best).

Please help me think this through: for those of you with section 8 properties that are susceptible to tall grass violations, how do you handle this?

Loading replies...