How to put an eviction on someones record? In Texas

How to put an eviction on someones record? In Texas

Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 6 votes

I have a tenant that was a nightmare. How do I put an eviction on her record? Anything else you do to past bad tenants? I have a judgement for $800 but know I will never see it.

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Greg H.Pro Member
Moderator
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

Pay the $5 to $10 for an Abstract of Judgement and record it in the county or any county they reside.  It will get picked up by the credit bureau.

However, the reality is Texas judgements are rarely collected from tenants as we cannot garnish wages and the list of protected items from our Homestead laws is lengthy.  For instance, a Texan can literally own a $1 million home free and clear and it cannot be touched.  As would be expected, their cattle, guns and chickens are protected as well! lol

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Justin Wood:

    I have a tenant that was a nightmare. How do I put an eviction on her record? Anything else you do to past bad tenants? I have a judgement for $800 but know I will never see it.

     I don't know for certain but wont the judgment be on her record?

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Pay the $5 to $10 for an Abstract of Judgement and record it in the county or any county they reside.  It will get picked up by the credit bureau.

    However, the reality is Texas judgements are rarely collected from tenants as we cannot garnish wages and the list of protected items from our Homestead laws is lengthy.  For instance, a Texan can literally own a $1 million home free and clear and it cannot be touched.  As would be expected, their cattle, guns and chickens are protected as well! lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    If you evicted her in Justice Court then it is on her record.

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Greg H.:

    Pay the $5 to $10 for an Abstract of Judgement and record it in the county or any county they reside.  It will get picked up by the credit bureau.

    However, the reality is Texas judgements are rarely collected from tenants as we cannot garnish wages and the list of protected items from our Homestead laws is lengthy.  For instance, a Texan can literally own a $1 million home free and clear and it cannot be touched.  As would be expected, their cattle, guns and chickens are protected as well! lol

    Good info. I didn't know that.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    5y

    If you went through the proceedings to evict it should already be on their record. 

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @Chuck H.

    @Zachary Ray

    That is a probably/maybe ?  While many of Texas 256 counties have online records, many still do not

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.