Section 8 Preferred Provider Allowed

1 Reply

We are in Cleveland and have 2 large rentals that the owners will allow us to accept section 8 due to the posted market rate. The problem is our local provider.  Here in Cleveland they barely answer the phone and are taking 2 weeks to even open the package, and then there is a 30-60 day wait to get approval.   Eden housing is 3 weeks processing,  but the Parma housing authority is only 7-10 days to process.  With this information in hand we would obviously prefer a Parma voucher.    I would assume we would get in trouble with Fair Housing Authority if we advertised for a Parma Voucher.  

Anyone else having this kind of issue in their areas.

One of my Sect. 8 tenants in Cleveland came from Parma Housing Authority. This was over a year ago, but I found it ironic they were able to "port In", have the inspection paperwork done, etc. with less hastles. I do think you may run into some issues by advertising you only want someone from Parma housing authority.

I do know that a friend of mine advertised on GoSection 8 and Craigslist saying "Tenants with Section 8 Vouchers strongly encouraged to apply, I.E. Parma Housing Authority. For some reason it triggered keyword searches without expressly saying, I only want...etc. 

Of course I'm only going by what she told me.......