• Paterson, NJ
Votes |
Section 8 voucher limits

Joseph Rios
  • Investor
  • Paterson, NJ
Posted Nov 23 2020, 00:30

Hello BP Community,

I have a tenant who lost her job and recently got approved for section 8. She was only approved for a 1-bedroom apartment and the rental unit I'm currently renting to her is a 4-bedroom (she lived with other family members but they all moved out prior to COVID). I've been helping her look for a 1-bedroom apartment however there is shortage of 1-bedroom apartments in the area and the only ones available are either above the voucher limit or require income verification. I am closing on another 2-family property soon (around this area) which I'm planning to hold, it is made up of Two 2-bedroom apartment units. I was hoping of maybe moving my tenant from the 4-bedroom apartment to one of the 2-bedroom apartment units in the new house, however that would mean taking a loss since the voucher is for a 1-bedroom apartment unit instead of a 2-bedroom.

My question is, could section 8 increase the voucher limit to reflect that of a 2-bedroom apartment? or would she be allowed to make up the difference if section 8 cannot increase the limit?

Loading replies...