Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jim Peckey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Tenant moving out without giving 30 day notice (NY State)

Jim Peckey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Buffalo, NY
Posted Nov 28 2020, 16:50

Howdy folks,

We rented out a unit to a tenant this past September and fast forward 2 months later, the tenant has indicated the rent is too high and has decided to move out.  I'm waiting to find out when they will be moving out, but I gather it will be before 1 December and when the next month's rent is due.  This is happening at the end of the month and without giving us as the landlords a proper 30 day notice.

I'm taking a closer look at a copy of the least we had the tenant sign, which we procured from here on BP, and I'm realizing there is no verbiage requiring that tenant's give a 30 day notice prior to moving out of their property.  I'm kicking myself in the butt for not catching & adding this verbiage before I had the tenant sign the lease.  

The tenant has been very nice and respectful, and I don't foresee any damages or uncleanliness to address as they've only been in the apartment for a few weeks.  However, I would like to add the requirement for a 30 day notice to our lease for future use.

That being said, would anyone be so kind as to share the verbiage from their lease covering the '30 day move-out notice' period?  (preferably from a NY State lease)

Thank you very much in advance and Happy Holidays!

Loading replies...