Virtual Assistant for a Property Management Company in Miami

11 Replies

Hello, I am currently looking to hire a virtual assistant to help with my property management company in Miami, FL. Any recommendations on the best platforms to search on are welcome, as well as any tips on how to choose one and average cost.

Thank you!

Upwork is pretty good. You will find the best person for this job in the Philippines. They are very skilled in office work and there are many who specialize in real estate.

You would be paying $5-$10 an hour. You can choose someone based on reviews from previous clients. 

Originally posted by @Tracy Streich :

I would contact Gwen Aspen with Anequim. They focus on VA for property managers. I am not affiliated with them in any way just a happy customer

I actually met with them yesterday. I might use them in the future. You'll need to guarantee 40 hours a week and i'm just not there yet.

I use someone I found on Upwork. They make $8.50 an hour but they're very happy. You can find a lot of people in Central or South America for under $10. I prefer that over the Philippines.  

Philippines are cheaper and speak better English, but while they all say they can work the graveyard shift (being 12 hours time difference with EST), you should expect some problems with their internet connections, electricity and floods. They also seem to get sick a lot, probably from lack of sleep trying to balance daytime family life while working midnights. Also, if they work xmas and NYE even only until 1pm EST, that is their 2am. How would you like to miss the holidays with your family?

Caribbean workers don't seem to be very dedicated and think nothing of missing a day of work.

Mexico, Central & South America the biggest challenge is finding workers who's perception of their English matches reality. 

This is a fascinating thread and quite timely, thank you for posting @Carlos Rovira . I also run a property management company and have been heavily considering a VA to help my business.

I am curious as to what tasks others here are planning to ask their VAs to do. I am very much looking for ideas still. Thoughts @Tracy Streich , @Peter T. , @Drew Sygit ?

@Peter - why do you prefer people in Central or South America over the Philippines? Any countries in specific you focus on, or look for people from?

Originally posted by @Filipe Pereira :

This is a fascinating thread and quite timely, thank you for posting @Carlos Rovira . I also run a property management company and have been heavily considering a VA to help my business.

I am curious as to what tasks others here are planning to ask their VAs to do. I am very much looking for ideas still. Thoughts @Tracy Streich , @Peter T., @Drew Sygit ?

@Peter - why do you prefer people in Central or South America over the Philippines? Any countries in specific you focus on, or look for people from?

I have a lot of spanish speaking tenants (or prospective renters) who speak zero english. I have learned a lot of spanish but it's much easier for my VA to communicate with prospects looking for rentals that speak the same language. I found two good candidates, one in Mexico and another in Peru. I pay one of them 20 hours per week right now.

Hi all!
You can find VA here in BP, there's a lot of people who wants to start and don't have the money or just want to learn and VA is a perfect way to do it. I'm new into this, learning everyday and my first thought was I can help an investor as a VA using my skills and will be beneficial for both.

This is my advice as a newer who is learning every day and first post ;) 

Silvia Bimblich 

There is a lot VA's can do, but you should first make a decision if you want to hire permanent help or temp help. It makes a big difference in the "mindset" of who you'll be hiring.

1) Virtual Assistant: Part-time mentality, more than likely have other clients, so they won't take the time to learn your business. Very task focused and require excellent training materials or one-on-one training as they memorize steps to get the job done instead trying to understand what they are doing. Don't expect them to make decisions or extra efforts. They also prefer to come and go as they please, so aren't always reliable. 
BEST TASKS: data-entry including bookkeeping (just scan stuff to send them), answering/making/returning calls/texts/emails, posting ads, converting received pics of docs to PDF, processing rental applications, making past due rent calls, confirming tenant satisfaction with maintenance.

2) Remote Worker: They want a job allowing them to work from home. Will usually require full-time guarantee, but there are some looking to work only a part-time job. The right one can replace a local staff member for a fraction of the cost. Need to be careful with those having only BPO/CSR experience as they have been taught to NOT think their way through problems:( Also confirm their electricity & internet are dependable and internet speed is at least 10mbps.
BEST TASKS: anything that can be done remotely!

Like some of you have mentioned, assistants can help with quite a bit. The differentiator really comes in with having your requirements & their skillsets aligned, not a one sized fits all. As for the actual work, your instructions (short term projects) and training (longer term) will be vital. You provide poor instructions or horrible training, and it will inevitably lengthen the turnaround time for work, increasing your cost and probably your blood pressure. You also get what you pay for, and personally, I prefer to pay a bit more to find a solid US based assistant (bilingual if required for some projects) that will be there ready to go with a bit of training on specifics, and be there for the long haul.