Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 814 posts · 466 votes
I have a property with a hot tub and will be up for rent on late January.
Looking for pros and cons. I’m planning to have someone else do the maintenance.
The hot tub is just 6 months old, slab on grade and outdoors. Its a good one with a lot of options etc which can be attractive to tenants, given the maintenance is included with the rent.
What have you done in the lease to protect yourself from liabilities regarding hot tubs? I’m planning to call my insurance broker to see what else I can do to cover for liabilities.
I'm trying to sell the hot tub, but if the time comes and I can't find a buyer, I will have no other option but to rent the SFR with the hot tub in it. What other things could be done if the hot tub will remain in the property? I have thought to empty it and lock it, but that is lost space for the tenants in the backyard and not very desirable from an advertisement standpoint.
Any tips are really appreciated. My property is located in San Antonio, Texas.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
5y
You should be able to get someone on Craigslist to pick it up and take it within a day. If your current tenants have been good offer it to them. I have two rentals with pools and include all maintenance at a cost of $100/mo to myself. I’m not sure if it adds any value, even if Vegas, but one was a previous primary and the other was a seller who leased back for 7 years.
Real Estate Agent · McAllen, TX · Member since 2017 · 382 posts · 281 votes
5y
In my opinion, if you are renting your property as an Airbnb then the Hot Tub is great, but if you are doing a lease then it's a waste of money. If you get lucky the first tenants you get will take care of it, but eventually you are likely to get a tenant that won't care for it and is going to let it decay untill it becomes almost worthless :S
I agree with you, I don't want to rent the property with a hot tub. I want to sell the hot tub even for way less its value. The thing is I bought another property and moving out by the end of the month and rent this one I'm in now. I don't want to get a vacancy for one month just to try to get rid of the hot tub. Crossing my fingers to sell it sooner than later. I thought of including a scheduled maintenance (which should be around $100/month). With that I should get tenant who is willing to pay some more rent given other comparable properties without a hot tub in the area.
Wondering what other landlords have done with properties with hot tubs (not AirBnB ones).
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
5y
You should be able to get someone on Craigslist to pick it up and take it within a day. If your current tenants have been good offer it to them. I have two rentals with pools and include all maintenance at a cost of $100/mo to myself. I’m not sure if it adds any value, even if Vegas, but one was a previous primary and the other was a seller who leased back for 7 years.
Craigslist will be my last option and will use it if I can't find a better alternative. I contacted the dealer to see if they are willing to take it back. I should hear from them later this week. The property is not a rental now, I'm living in it. It will become a rental pretty soon because I will move out and keep it.
Decided to list. So hot tub will remain in the property.
In the past, I had a house with a pool and spa (not hot tub). This house in particular is my first one with a hot tub. I guess pools require a lot more maintenance than a hot tub, but pools last longer. What I heard about life expectancy for hot tubs is about 15 years then hot tubs get to a point it needs to be replaced.