Help: Tenants living in unhealthy manner with children

Help: Tenants living in unhealthy manner with children

Real Estate Agent · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes

Can't evict... Do I call CPS?  Do I call the health department?  Or do I offer to give them their money back if they leave as my lawyer advised? All of the above? 

I have a duplex with a tenant one on side who is living in unhealthy / hazardous conditions (I'll call it UNIT A), I would normally start eviction immediately, but have not because of the moratorium.  I have discussed with my attorney, evictions are rarely going through due to the moratorium, and my best option is to pay them to leave.

- A new tenant moved in next to them (UNIT B) a week ago and started complaining of roaches.

- I called my pest control service, the they came and treated both units, the "messy" tenant showed up to unlock the door for them and left.

- The pest control technician called me from UNIT A, advising that there were unsafe / hazardous living conditions, and proceeded to send photos.  Some of the items he mentioned are:

- - Dead mice scattered throughout the unit

- - Mouse droppings on all surfaces including in kitchen cabinets, counters, stove

- - Trash piles and mounds along walls

- - A large number of live mice in the unit - the tech said he moved a bed that was in the basement, and dozens of mice ran out

- - Fruit flies in every room

- - Dog feces on the floor

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Rob

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
5y

I'd call CPS looking at those photos.  Also you should be able to get them out for health reasons via an eviction.  Did you tell your lawyer that it is NOT for non-payment of rent?  I'd post a notice to cure and tell them they have to get out, so you can treat the unit.

also hindsight is great, but you need to do regular inspections, especially with new tenants.  I know they are not the new ones that moved in, but I'm guessing this was like this for a while.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 339 posts · 356 votes
    5y

    @Robert Campbell

    Are they paying rent ? Sometimes you gotta let them just be slobs . You likely did a very poor job screening these folks, but it still happens when you get a pig here and there .

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    I'd call CPS looking at those photos.  Also you should be able to get them out for health reasons via an eviction.  Did you tell your lawyer that it is NOT for non-payment of rent?  I'd post a notice to cure and tell them they have to get out, so you can treat the unit.

    also hindsight is great, but you need to do regular inspections, especially with new tenants.  I know they are not the new ones that moved in, but I'm guessing this was like this for a while.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Wow is about all I can say.  I would send a notice to non renew asap assuming they are M2M and just tell them it is in their best interest to leave and see what they say.  Possibly reminding them that if you do have to go to court these pictures are going to be evidence and maybe hinting that they wouldn't like to see children in these conditions could be helpful.  Also send notice that they need to clean the unit as it is unfit for them and their children to stay there and follow up in a week to check on progress.  If this doesn't work I would file for eviction ASAP for both holdover as well as failure to maintain the property.  As for calling CPS that's a tricky one, yes that is a horrible place for children to live and anyone who has their children living in those conditions should not have children.  On the other hand you truly bring out peoples inner beast when you threaten their children so prepare for some retaliation.  This looks like a gut job anyway but good luck to you and hopefully you can get them out.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.