• USA
Votes |
Neighbor's Tree Fell on the Fence of My Rental Property

Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Posted May 5 2021, 21:32

Hey everybody,

I'm facing a new situation.  A neighbor's tree fell in July of last year into the back yard of my out-of-state rental property, damaging a small section of chainlink fence.  My property manager at the time charged me for tree removal ($345) and sent a few photos.  I was under the impression that the tree that had fallen was a tree that grew on my property.

Fast forward to now and I learn from a new PM that the tree was a neighbor's tree and my tenants are asking to have the section of fence repaired.  Apparently my initial PM became aware that it was a neighbor's tree and indicated that they were going to contact the neighbor regarding repairs to the fence, but it never happened nor was this communicated to me.

I'm being asked by the current PM to contact the neighbor and request the cost to repair the fence.  I'd also like to recover my tree removal costs if possible, though my current PM is telling me that I'm financially responsible for the tree removal, which doesn't sound correct.  

The property is in NC.

If I can get ahold of the neighbor's contact info (current PM is offering to ask the tenants to get their information, but I don't want my tenants involved), should I email, call, or write a letter?  How should I approach this conversation with the neighbor?

I loathe dealing with the "human" side of RE which is why I hire a PM.  I much prefer deal analysis or DIY reno-ing a vacant property.  I blatantly suck at talking to people, so writing a letter or email would likely be best.  I'd also have the communication in writing.  What should I say?

Thank you in advance.

Loading replies...