Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Manny K.
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Terminate M2M Lease or hang tight till Covid backlogs subside?

Manny K.
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted May 15 2021, 21:06

Georgia rental - tenant is paying partial 60-70% rent ($400-600 short every month, bit late without late fees every month) since past 8 months, claiming Covid hardship. Refuses to communicate, and is not cooperating in completing the paperwork necessary for CARES/rent assistance programs. What would you do in these challenging Covid times: 

1) Serve a 60-day M2M lease termination notice, and HOPE they move out on their own?  Or, keep collecting partial rent for next few months till court system is fully functional and scheduling prompt hearings again?  

2) Any estimate on how long it might take in GA during these Covid days, to get thru the whole eviction process if tenant becomes "holdover"? 

3) Is it highly probable that the tenant will stop paying altogether upon receiving 60-day termination notice?  If so, am I looking at a potential 6-9 month long (w/ Covid court + sheriff delays)  zero cashflow battle if I go that route?   

I hate the idea of Cash-for-keys, and don't even know if this tenant will opt for that. Is staying put, and collecting partial rent the best course for now?  What would you do?   Thanks in advance! 

Loading replies...