Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mitchell Bell
Votes |
Really Motivated Tenants vs Long Term Tenants - How to manage?

Mitchell Bell
Posted Jul 28 2021, 07:30

We have listed the property for 2 days and have 6 completed applications, and have scheduled about 10 showings. I am happy to have a lot of interest, but I need help navigating this specific tenant scenario.

We have at least 2 sets of renters who are very well qualified.  Tenant 1 needs to move because the current owner is selling. They have stayed in that rental for more than 3 years and I think is more likely to be long term tenants. Tenant 2 has expressed that they will do whatever they need to in order to ensure they get the tenancy, but I think they are 1-2 year renters maximum. 

I want to be fair to whichever tenant we end up going with but this is also an investment, so we are looking to position acccordingly. My current idea is to propose to tenant 2 that in order to seal the deal, increase the rent by $100 and sign a 2 year lease.  Is this fair, or a bad practice?  Or do I just tell tenant 1 and tenant 2 to give their best offer (like realetors do when they sell houses) and choose the best offer?  Is there a better way to handle this?  Any insight is appreciated.

Loading replies...