Does ceiling fans increase the rent rate or not?

59 Replies

Does ceiling fans/ light combo increase the rent rate or not?
I just purchased a house that had nice lighting in the bedrooms, but was not ceiling fans. I know ceiling fans are just something extra for tennis to break, but has anyone found it to be preferred by tenants?

@Joe S.

I cannot imagine that ceiling fans would increase rent. No more then $10 a month at most. I’m really new so take what I say with a grain of salt but for a new fan to cost $80-$150 per room. It would take many years to make that money back.

Heck in my house I have a ceiling fan and a box fan going. In old apartments I lived in, no ceiling fans. Just floor fans.

I would not stress that. I would invest that money into better door knobs or something more visual like that.

Definitely one more thing for the tenants to break, but a fairly inexpensive item that adds a nice touch to a home. And lets them stay cool on moderate days without turning the AC on. You can get nice ones for $100-$200...

Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff :

Definitely one more thing for the tenants to break, but a fairly inexpensive item that adds a nice touch to a home. And lets them stay cool on moderate days without turning the AC on. You can get nice ones for $100-$200...

Do you find them to increase the desirability of a rental property?

this may be a regional thing.  locally a lot of homes have them but you do not get increased rent or decreased rent if you do/don't.  Central Air would but not a ceiling fan.  

Unless the ceiling fans are "tied" into a switch on the wall be prepared to learn the art of replacing starters in them.  They often tend to get yanked out by tenants.  Replacing the switch in the light isn't too hard; the switch in the actual fan requires a little more wiring.

Tenants here in the south like them but they don't increase or decrease the rent here.  Fan blades never seem to get cleaned and it's a mess if there's a fan in the kitchen (the combination of grease and dirt on the blades cause an interesting challenge in cleaning between tenants).

@Joe S.   no.   The presence of ceiling fans can be a plus but if they are dated looking they can also be a minus.  Many people today think about the look over the functionality.   I don't think they impact rent but they can impact appeal.  

Maybe just a nominal amount. But as was mentioned by others, it does increase the appeal to renters - at least around here. I put the $50 Armitage matte black fans from Lowe's in living rooms and master bedrooms, they definitely get used a lot and I've only had to repair one pull chain/switch. 

We have some units and complexes with ceiling fans and some without.

They may not by themselves garner a higher rent in our markets but it sure can help with - (a) Lowering "AC not cooling" calls when it is an air circulation issue and (b) helps lower tenant turnover at lease renewal if the resident is happy in their home.

Some people like having ceiling fans, but I don't know that it increases rent value. I have had tenants ask to have ceiling fans added. Generally we work out an arrangement, where they pay for the fan and I cover the install. I would never let a tenant install a ceiling fan due to anchoring requirements for safety reasons. 

I have also removed ceiling fans from properties during vacancy, when they were ugly or not working properly. 

You can find deals on nice looking fans for $100, so it is not a huge cost. Install cost may be $150-200 if you can't do it yourself.

fans do put a nice touch I just put x2 $70 ceiling fans from home depot in my duplex they really add a nice touch, As far as increasing rents I'm not sure but it definitely lets your place be more desirable which in return sure you could raise the rent to accommodate, I also have ceiling fans in my side of the duplex, well worth it I did a lot of crawling through the attic to install the appropriate fan anchor socket, But after that all the hard work was over with.

Originally posted by @Joe S. :

Does ceiling fans/ light combo increase the rent rate or not?
I just purchased a house that had nice lighting in the bedrooms, but was not ceiling fans. I know ceiling fans are just something extra for tennis to break, but has anyone found it to be preferred by tenants?

Ceiling fans increase the amount of things in the house that can be hung on and broken.

I manage properties in Las Vegas and Henderson.  I believe ceiling fans provide for a relatively inexpensive upgrade.  They help with rent but more so with resident retention.  However, all this can be achieved by only placing the ceiling fan in the living room/tv room and the main bedroom.  The second and third bedrooms should only have the light fixture.  If the tenant moves in and wants to install a ceiling fan in the other bedrooms then offer to have it done for a fee.   You select the fan and have it installed by a professional.  When the tenant moves out the fan stays with the property. 

We always add ceiling fans with light fixtures when we are renovating properties we acquire and command higer rent compared to market (you can see from the pics of other listings, if they have it or not). Tenants notice it without us saying and we always get complements as it does get hot in Atlanta market where we have properties. It is an added advantage over your competition, just like stainless steel appliances.

Depending on the home/layout, ceiling fans may increase the rent. For example, if the home has an evaporative cooler, ceiling fans will really help cool the home, and make the home more appealing, and keep your tenants happy. Even without evaporative cooling, most people like ceiling fans, and it will likely boost the satisfaction of your tenants- but it IS difficult to calculate.

Also, if you got decent (They don't have to be expensive) ceiling fans, they will add attraction to your property. In my book, ceiling fans are a good idea for most homes- they don't cost much and they are appreciated.

This is more of a "in Y market, a property that costs $X should have a fan."  Sort of like a dishwasher.  In certain markets, fans are expected in all bedrooms (at least) if that property is nicer than a certain amount.  Other markets hate fans with a passion. lol.  It really depends.

In a San Antonio B property, I'd expect them. I would not expect them in a Washington DC B or A property!

I take all them down if I buy a home before I rent out, they may be cheap to buy but then you have to pay a handyman to go fix or replace when breaks so that is an extra cost that can add up.  If you don't supply one less thing that breaks and causes a work order. We also remove garbage disposals those break a lot too and no extra rent is gotten for that too. 

If you're going to make a few modest upgrades to a property to make it more desirable, ceiling fans is probably an item that would make it near the top of the list, but you're not going to necessarily derive a direct rent increase from ceiling fans. I'd recommend looking at your property more holistically in terms of its desirability and what type of tenants you want to attract and then make decisions based on that. 

Ramit Sethi always says asking $10k questions instead of $10 questions and I think this applies here :)