Questions about - delivering a lease non-renewal letter

Questions about - delivering a lease non-renewal letter

Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 1 vote

I'm self-managing a property, as an out-of-town landlord. I have some relator "boots" on the ground that I can engage with on an ad-hoc basis if needed. 

But I'm wondering if I can handle this myself. 

I have a tenant whose fixed-term lease ended 8.31.2021. I'm not renewing.  I'm giving them 30 days as a courtesy.  Their last day is 10.13.2021. In Louisana, per law, I only have to give them 10 days notice to vacate. 

I've sent an email, called, and texted the same, letting them know the above.

Questions: 

Should I deliver a non-renewal lease letter? Does it need to be posted on their door? 

Can I mail it? If I mail it is it valid? 

What does a non-renewal lease letter do?

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    5y

    You can use certified mail which most courts will presume delivered after 5 days. Personally I mail it first class and email it. The letter should be an official notice stating your intentions or non-intentions in this case.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    State laws vary widely on this some only accept first class mail while some need proof of delivery.  This can also vary widely by courts and individual judges.  We normally mail, email and a short text.  Cover the bases.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.