Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Beg
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Habitual Late Paying tenant! To evict or put up?

Jacob Beg
  • Woodbridge, VA
Posted Oct 21 2021, 00:09

Hi All- I have a tenant who habitually pays late. In fact, she has started to pay in arrears. To give some background, she has been renting for over three years now. She was not the most qualified tenant at the time but had a stable job and rent paying history. At the time, I was out of the country and was keen to get it rented. In fairness to her, she use to or at least most of the time paid on time prior to the pandemic. 

During the pandemic, she started paying late and had some arrears all of which were paid up without too much hassle. However, she has fallen in this habitual routine of paying at the end of the month. I decided against charging any late fee in the past.

She is back in full time employment along with her adult children who are also on the lease and in full time employment but my contact is mostly restricted to her and she is quite unresponsive to my repeat requests that she pay as per lease. She was quite upset on the suggestion that I will start charging late fee if she continues with this. Frankly, I don't want to charge late fees either. I am also worried that the one month sec deposit won't cover any lost rent or potential damages if she moves on overnight. Falling short of not renewing the lease, what else can be done to bring her to comply with the lease. So this month's rent which was due on the 1st is not paid and with the rent being around 3K, this has the potential to balloon up quickly.

Loading replies...