Property Manager 路 Kokomo, IN 路 Member since 2020 路 172 posts 路 44 votes
In the majority of possible investment scenarios, an LLC is the best option for rental property owners. How many of you transferred your properties to an LLC? 馃
Rental Property Investor 路 Brandon, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
4y
I have used an LLC for all but one of my properties. I like the liability protection that comes from separating out the businesses. If one takes a loss, it shouldn't spill over on to the other ones. There is also the benefit of having an extra layer of anonymity that comes from having the LLC own your properties. This will probably vary state to state. I have transferred my first property from personal to an LLC. It cost about $800 with an attorney.
Rental Property Investor 路 Brandon, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
4y
I have used an LLC for all but one of my properties. I like the liability protection that comes from separating out the businesses. If one takes a loss, it shouldn't spill over on to the other ones. There is also the benefit of having an extra layer of anonymity that comes from having the LLC own your properties. This will probably vary state to state. I have transferred my first property from personal to an LLC. It cost about $800 with an attorney.
Developer 路 Santa Clarita, CA 路 Member since 2008 路 15k+ posts 路 10k+ votes
4y
All of my holds have always been held in an LLC and all my flips done through an S Corp. That is not to say that a certain person's situation may differ so always check with your CPA first as they are the experts.
Real Estate Broker 路 Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
4y
@Cristin Rakestraw , creating an LLC for your rental property is a smart choice as a property owner. I will suggest also suggest you do some research then go from there.
Typically, yes. LLCs are a tool for liability protection that we often use.
AND, don't forget to consult with your insurance broker too to ensure you get the proper insurance coverage as well. That is wall of defense 1, LLC is wall 2.
Rental Property Investor 路 Brandon, SD 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
4y
@Thomas Kwan: You will go to a commercial banker, just ask to speak with one at your local bank. You will be getting a commercial loan. Terms will be less favorable as the limited liability protects you but makes it more risky for the bank.