Pros / Cons to using Company Name on Lease Agreement

Pros / Cons to using Company Name on Lease Agreement

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2008 · 20 posts · 1 vote

Hi,

I'm considering the use of my Company Name (LLC Name) on my Lease Agreements (as opposed to my Personal Name). I think this will imply more formality. For example, I just denied a Rental Application (due to Accounts in Collections and Criminal Activity). The Applicant is trying to contact me to explain his case (justify the negative information). I replied by stating that my company has strict guidelines for accepting Rental Applications. My theory is that Tenants, and in this case, Potential Tenants, will consider policies (and guidelines) more formal, if they are dealing with a company (as opposed to an individual).

I would really appreciate some advice on the pros / cons of using my Company Name (LLC Name) on future Lease Agreements (and related documents).

Thank you for your time!!

-Adrian

0Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 198 posts · 25 votes
13y

Put everything in your LLC's name. Also, when signing contracts, etc I was instructed by my attorney to sign by writing: My Name for My Company LLC

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    13y
    Adrian,

    If your rental is in your company name that is what you need to used on all lease agreements. Did you tell them why you denied the Rental Application


    Joe Gore
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    13y

    I think company name is the way to go. That way when you deny an odd request or charge a late fee you dont have to be the "bad" guy,

  • Property Manager · Big Bear Lake, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 330 votes
    13y

    Definitely use the company name. When I used to rent my property under my personal name, people were way more demanding about things. Once everything was under my company name, very few problems after that. It's a lot easier to say it's company policy.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    @Adrian M if the property is owned by your company you should legally have the lease in your company name. Usually the main point in forming a company is to take advantage of the limited liability laws. If you do not follow a fairly strict separation of company from personal the courts can pierce the corporate veil, or disregard the company and make you personally liable. You should get specific information in your state as to what the corporate formalities that are required.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2013 · 198 posts · 25 votes
    13y

    Put everything in your LLC's name. Also, when signing contracts, etc I was instructed by my attorney to sign by writing: My Name for My Company LLC

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.