• Rental Property Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Tenants need more time to move out after giving 60 day notice to vacate

Sam Fong
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pasadena, CA
Posted Sep 9 2013, 00:46

I purchased my first rental property a few months ago. It is a detached duplex with long term existing tenants. By long I mean the front unit lived there for 13 year, and the back unit lived there for 30 years! The previous owner did not take care of the property very well, and the back unit especially (1 bd / 1 bath), was in very bad shape and in dire need of repair. The unit still had original carpet (or what's left of it...); the bathroom had moisture damage and mold all over the ceiling and around the shower due to poor ventilation. I want to create a safe and healthy environment for my tenants so I knew an extensive renovation is needed.

My property is located in So California so following the state law I gave my tenant a 60 day notice to vacate. I personally served him the notice on August 1st. After talking to him he said he would like to stay and continue living here after everything is complete. I told him that he must completely move out in order for me to start doing the repairs, since the repairs will be extensive there is no way that him and his family can stay while the renovation is going on.

I just had a phone conversation with my tenant today. He told me he is having a tough time looking for a temporary place nearby, and is asking for a 2-3 weeks extension past October 1st so he has more time to look a place.

What do you guys think? Should I allow him this extension? Of course I will still be charging him rent during the time he lives on the property. I am brand new to real estate investing and being a landlord so I can't even imagine handling an eviction right now. However, he is also delaying my progress and preventing me from raising the rent to market level. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Loading replies...