Bandit Sign Success!

34 Replies

We put up about 100-400 signs a month and get about 120 calls a month from Bandit Signs! Our cost per DEAL is about $150 for signs! If you want a cheaper option than postcards and want to take some massive action (or hire someone else to help you take that massive action), put up at least 25 Bandit Signs a week for a month and see how many leads you get and see what you can convert. Bandit Sign leads are some of our best leads because the people have to actively call off the sign for one reason or another! If you have any questions about Bandit Signs, message me!

Hi David,

I have a simple question about bandit signs.  How legal are they?  I'm guessing that if you put them on someone's private land then they will take them down.  What about posting on public land?  

Do you ever get a call from someone telling you that you can't put them out?

Thanks!

Mark

Most of the cities we do them in don't mind them. We never post a bandit sign on someone's property unless we have permission from them. Of course we have gotten calls before to not put them out, but the reward far outweighs the risk!

Not a single place in New Jersey that I've found where it is legal to place them on public property (Trees, street signs, etc). There are even towns that won't let you put up a sign for a lemonade stand or garage sale at the end of the block. That being said there are some municipalities that will let you buy a permit to put up a sign, generally on a per sign basis.

25 signs a week at least plus gas, time, energy, finding good locations, dodging traffic etc... Been there done that. Actually did my first wholesale deal that way, but it SUCKS! Imo there's better ways to spend your time and energy. Do they work? Yes of course and ya gotta do whatya gotta do but unless you have a VA sifting through the bs calls its not worth the roi.

Everyone is entitle to their opinion for sure :) We have people that put them out for us part time and they are happy doing it. We get our cheapest leads from that source and it has made us a lot of money. And of course we have VAs covering our calls that's what a real estate machine does. Add intense follow up and you get some pretty awesome gems.

@David Richter Do you mind me asking from whom you order your signs?  Most of the sites I have looked at/ created a design are running me about $2.00-$2.15 (order of 200) per sign before shipping.  What is your approx cost per sign?  How many are you ordering at a time?  

Thanks

@David Richter Thanks for the info.  I know marketing takes money but I am hesitant on pulling the trigger with bandit signs since I do not have confirmation of their success rate in my area.  I am doing surprisingly well with Driving for Dollars and door hangers.  I suppose if those strategies work signs would reach all the more people.  I will think about this.  Thanks!

Love 'em or hate 'em - I can tell you this: I have done every kind of marketing that you can imagine to get motivated sellers to contact us.  Where you can use them, bandit signs will generate a lower cost per call than direct mail, AdWords, or door hangers.

One issue - with any outdoor signage including billboards - is you never know who's going to call - so plan on talking to people with no equity, upside down, mobile homes, whatever.  But outdoor (signage) is #3 on my list of strategies that work (after AdWords and direct mail)....

Here's an example of one that has worked very well for our guys:

@Andrew Michael It's my honor man! Anything I can do to help, just let me know! And I totally get what you're saying, @Dev Horn , about the different types of callers. We have strategies for just about any seller that calls or can refer them to someone who does. It's great to have a lot of tools in your toolbelt! Thank you for sharing the bandit sign example too!

Originally posted by @David Richter :

@Lucas Miller We use VAs from a service called IVAS. It pulls other VAs from other places and weeds out the superstars. We use Podio as our CRM.

Sounds like you have an awesome setup. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to get your CRM and IVAS setup? This is a system I would really like to use in the future. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you